Sunday, April 23, 2017

A Week in Writing #139

Okay, this week didn't really go as planned. I had high hopes on Sunday night for the following week, but things got derailed on Wednesday morning and I don't think I ever really recovered. Wednesday was the day our colorist turned in her notice that she was leaving our project. It wasn't a creative difference, but the cold realities of work. She's taking a 9 to 5 job and didn't feel she could handle doing four pages a week for us.

That threw me into a tailspin that I never really recovered from. Now some of that is me being hypersensitive, but some of that is the cold reality of a wrench being thrown into the works. We were very happy with her work and very sad to see her go. We tried to figure out how we could do it with less output, but as there is a different story arc between issues 2 and 3, now was the time to make a change and, reluctantly, we did.

To her credit, she did give us the name of a friend of hers that she could highly recommend. So, after letting her see the comic book and us looking at her work online and her doing a test page, I believe we've found our new colorist; our third on this project.

Pinged our artist after it has been a month and no finished pages. To his credit, he did respond and I believe we're on the verge of wrapping up Issue #3, though I think it's going to be a week or more before we're done. It's been about four months to get 20 pages done, which is not sustainable in the long run. We had to move on from our current colorist since her output would drop. Just putting that out there.

We still need to finish Issue #2. Our current colorist still has four pages to submit and we'd still like her to color the cover. Not sure how that fits in with her new schedule. Our letterer has done about seven pages so far but hopefully, can do more this week. The goal is still the end of the month/beginning of May.

Did some more work on the website, adding a couple of pages for Jennifer Perry and Mocha in the last couple of days. Still, don't know what I'm doing and if anyone wants to give feedback I'd welcome it. Hint!

As promised, I did email the agent who has had Personal and Professional for the past six months. I was trying to figure out how to contact her and looked her up on the internet. Disappointed to find a thread about her on QueryTracker. She's not listed on the site, but writers had plenty to say about her, none of it really positive. Now I'm feeling like I've wasted six months waiting for her. If I don't hear from her in the next week or so, I'm going to have to call the whole thing off. Need to send more queries, but that's where time and I part company.

Managed very little in the way of rewrites on Familiar Stranger. Know what to do, but time again was a factor. It helps when everything is running smoothly.

Didn't write a new review this week, though I did publish one for The Founder (2016). Pageviews on the blog have really dropped in the last few days. We've averaged about 600 a day for the past few months and now we're down to about 10% of that level. Hopefully, it is a temporary thing; I mean with the weather being nice, who's reading a blog anyway? Hello? Anybody out there?

Next week, now that things seem settled, I can get back at it. There are still some lingering I'll call legal things I need to get done for the comic book, but I am hoping to get back to writing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment