Sunday, August 30, 2026

A Week in Writing #628 - 7 Years of On the Air with Powers Squared, 1800 Reviews and a Partridge in a Pear Tree


Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

As the title suggests, On the Air with Powers Squared celebrated 7 years of podcasts on Friday with #366. Our guest was Val Hochberg, noted artist and webcomic creator. She is someone we've been after for a while. The boys, especially Paul, is a big fan of her work, so it was great to have her on the show. Val talked about her career and influences, mostly with Paul, which was quite all-right. You can still watch it for the next few days on our twitch channel, listen to it on here, or wait and watch it on our YouTube channel at 2:30 pm PDT on Wednesday.

The night before, we recorded another podcast, this one with Nina Gaillard, former colorist for Powers Squaredand now Eisner-nominated for her work on Chickenpox, a book by Remy Lai. It was the first time Nina had done a podcast with us since 2019, so it was good to catch up. We're holding it back for a while, but it will be coming out soon. More when it does.

And if that wasn't enough, Trophy Unlocked celebrated 1800 reviews on Saturday, with my second review of Citizen Kane. A Second Screening came about from watching the movie with an audience, something I don't think I had done since college, and even then it was probably a bunch of film students, so they don't count as a public viewing with paying customers. It did change my perspective on the film. Earlier in the week on Wednesday, Game Day, was Trevor's review of Sonic Riders for the PS2. I'm workng on a review of Nancy Drew... Detective, while Paul is working on one for the new Buddy film and Trevor is working on one for Coyote vs. Acme.

On the Powers Squared front, Wednesday saw the release of Issue #28, the one and only issue drawn by Jen Moreno. In this issue, "Agnes: Wreckage, Part 1", while trying to assist with his research, Marty and Eli Powers’ former science instructor Agnes Miller accidentally took an overdose of the Viribus compound, a chemical blend found in the blood of people with superpowers. As a result, she now has powers that she can’t control and neither can Dr. Atlas. With nowhere to turn, he comes to beg Marty, Eli and Mocha for help. But will they answer the call? It's available in print and digital through The Campus Store on our website.

You have to give us credit; 7 years of a podcast, 1800 reviews and a new issue of a comic book. I don't think many people can point to that in a week's work. We're consistent if nothing else.

More on Powers Squared: We're also getting new pages on Issue #31 from our artist, and hopefully in the next month or so, we'll wrap issue #30.

I also applied to table at both WonderCon 2027 and San Diego Comic-Con 2027, so we'll see what happens.

Finally, I think I'm one step closer to being finished with Blackmail. I finished my final go through, and now it's just down to reviewing for repeats, which I hope there aren't many. By repeats, I mean where I might have talked about the same thing more than once, a description or an event. I'm not 100 percent happy with my final paragraph either, so I might not be totally done. The count is now 90,501 words.

Next week will be time for the newsletter again, so I think that's where a lot of my time will be spent, if it's not on Blackmail. You can still enroll here, if you want to get your own copy of The Hound Dogs' Howl.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment