Sunday, February 18, 2018

A Week in Writing #182

As is the usual, every time you think you know what you want to do, real life sort of gets in the way. This has been a week of interruptions and the object is to overcome them as much as possible. However, as a result, this hasn't been my most productive week. To begin with, I was sort of forced to buy a car this week.

A couple of weeks ago, I was hit on the freeway on my way to work. As a result, my car was totaled by my insurance company. Heartbreaking as that was, I needed to buy another car. I had certain things I was looking for, which was basically to replace my old car with one very much like it. Looking for a car can be very time consuming and my insurance company gave me only a few days.

Shopping online, I managed to find one but had to actually test drive it, which means one evening sort of taken away. Then the next night, which was also Valentine's Day, had to buy it, so a second evening and night pretty much gone. I don't mean that Valentine's Day was a waste, it wasn't, but it meant I couldn't really write that night. I'm saying all this to explain my diminished output this week.

That's not to say no writing was done, but it's never as much as I would want.

Let's start with Familiar Stranger, what is supposed to be my main focus. Well, not so much this week. I'm going back through the last chapter I wrote, making some edits and additions, before hopefully getting to the final chapters. I'm hoping to use the final chapters from a previous rewrite. I'm hoping that they're more plug and play, but I also know everything needs to be edited. Right now, I'm up to 73,550 words and 401 pages. I'll set a goal to wrap this up by the end of March, which is a bit of a cheat as well as realistic.

Wrote and published one review this week, County Hospital (1932), a Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy film. 1227 words, so a short review for a short film. Watched the film on Monday, posted the review on Tuesday, published it Saturday morning on Trophy Unlocked.

Over the weekend, we went to see Black Panther. Wrote a 1200 word review over Saturday and Sunday and will publish it tomorrow.

The process will start all over tomorrow, with an as of now undecided short to be picked and reviewed.

Progress was also made on Powers Squared, at least creatively. Our artist has penciled up to page 12 and our colorist has gotten up through page 4. Everything has to be reviewed, which doesn't take that much time but does demand your attention. So far, both have taken our suggestions on changes, which sometimes might seem insignificant, but they've been very receptive.

Still waiting to hear back from our contact at comiXology. Funny how we get an email when he's overseas, but radio silence when he's back in town. Very frustrating for me. Have so far sent two emails, using the excuse that we had the first four pages done, hoping to elicit a response but so far nothing. Will try again. Something I've learned is that you can't accept when people don't respond the first or second or third time you reach out to them. Never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment