Sunday, October 22, 2017

A Week in Writing #165

The week got off to a not-so-great start when I got an email from ComiXology on Tuesday morning showing our sales figures, or lack thereof. Since Powers Squared was published in July, we have sold exactly 8 copies, 6 of the first issue and only 2 of the second. I must have given away 3 times that many. Now some would take the lack of success as a sign to quit and I can say that is a tempting idea.

Partly, I blame ComiXology since they did nothing to promote the book when they published it, even though they promised to do that. Their make-do is to promise to promote the third issue, which we seem to be forever close to finishing. In the meantime, not even all the members of my own family have bought copies, so that's depressing as well.

I had hoped that nearly weekly mentions in this blog might have generated a sale or two as well, but that doesn't seem to have happened either. I know there's a great temptation to assume that someone else is buying it and I guess I hoped that someone was. So, here comes the pitch, again. Powers Squared Issue #1 and Issue #2 are available for sale at ComiXology. Just follow the links.

I did check in with our contact at ComiXology on updates about the book, even asking for his opinion. So far, radio silence. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound. And I'm sure "he's really busy blah blah blah." Not really an excuse. Do I sound angry?

Our artist is definitely back to his old ways. He started the last four pages about three weeks ago. We did see pencils for page 20 this past week, so I guess there is hope. Everyone else is idle while we wait.

We're going to start in earnest our search for a new colorist this week as we have a list of people interested.

The rest of the week was sort of problematic. I had been diagnosed with a sty in one of my eyelids and the prescription was to put a hot compress on it. Very hard to write when one hand is holding a hot washcloth against one of your eyes. Really slowed me down for a couple of days. I did in that time watch The Letter (1929) and write a review for it.

Published I Walked With a Zombie (1943) on Saturday morning as part of Trophy Unlocked's Halloween horror salute. Later that day, the family went to see Wonderstruck, which was also reviewed and published on Sunday.

As far as Familiar Stranger, I did make some progress before I was told to sit and hold a compress to my eye. Always want to do more.

This coming weekend, Paul and I will be attending the Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference in Pasadena. We will need to spend some time this week getting ready. So, hopefully, there will also be time to work on my own novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment