Sunday, March 26, 2017

A Week in Writing #135

So, just when you think things are going well...

Had a little hiccup with the comic book. A little coloring issue on the verge of putting Issue #1 to bed and hopefully showing it at WonderCon, which is next weekend. We have a tentative appointment to meet with someone from ComiXology and want to be ready. Our colorist really came through redoing all the issues in one day. Really terrific.

Otherwise, things have been sort of quiet on that front. Our artist seems to be stuck on one image that isn't quite right, but I found a very similar image on Facebook via an ad. I guess those suggested posts occasionally do pay off. Sent it to him, but it's been a couple of days and no word.

Have been using the extra free time to keep working on my rewrite of Familiar Stranger. I'm about 52,000 words in and just getting to the place where I'm going to have to make up things again. Up until now, it's been a lot of editing with a little original writing thrown in. I think it's reading better, but I know I'll need editing. Hope my regular is available when the time comes up. It's been over a year since I thought I was on the verge of sending him something, only to realize I had nothing ready to go. As much work as Familiar Stranger needs it is nothing compared to my other choice.

I said I would inform if I heard back on my Submittable submission, so... well, I haven't. That issue is still stuck in neutral and the cat is both alive and dead. I'd like to be more confident, but experience has taught me not to expect much. I'm going to give them a couple more days and then I guess I'll have to find another way of contacting them.

Not sure when I'll have time to make another query push. I haven't been keeping up with websites like QueryTracker; no time. Maybe I should start over when things quite down. The next month and a half are already sort of planned out from the personal side of the equation which makes it difficult to have the diligence I'm going to need. By then some agents start taking off for the summer and conferences.

Did write a new review for future use: about 3000 words on Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), which I saw during the week on TCM. Published the last of the March Western reviews, Blazing Saddles (1974), a parody of the genre with a Mel Brooks' twist.

Not sure what next week will present. Hoping to make more progress on Familiar Stranger, but also have to get Powers Squared ready for its close up. If we indeed have our meeting at WonderCon, will report back here.

No comments:

Post a Comment