Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Week in Writing #22

Started the week off catching up on my query list. Added another DNR. These are always disappointing, but apparently more of a reality than an actual response. A couple of days latter, I did get a response back rejecting my query. Maybe no response is preferable to the obvious form letters agents seem to use. There is no insight into the process of selection, nothing you can use to build on or change. I know that they get overwhelmed by queries, but rejection without any advice is practically worthless.

Remember how I reworded my query letter, thinking it might help? Well, it didn't fare well on it's maiden voyage. Rejected in four days, including the weekend. Is this an improvement? If it is, why don't I feel any better? The agent only had my query letter to go on, so I don't know if that means it's a bad letter or the story didn't appeal to the agent. I'm guessing the latter.

Decided to send my newly written query letter to another new agent, a man this time. I've heard he's been very quick to reject queries, so I thought I had nothing to lose by getting it over with. Still haven't heard back; not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Sent out a couple of other query letters. Don't want to send too many out at once. But will keep plugging away with those as well.

Managed to get some good rewrites done on Familiar Stranger. I think it helped to start over again from the beginning. While I'm not the final judge on it, I believe I've added some depth to the story and to the characters. I always wish I had done more this week, but I think I've made some good progress.

Published a new review on Trophy Unlocked: It All Came True (1940). Working on some edits to a future one for The Story of Temple Drake, which I'd like to wrap up soon.

Never seem to get as much done as I want to, but this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment