Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Week in Writing #3

HE’S ALIVE! I know for the last couple of weeks I’ve been wondering where my editor was. The last time we communicated was at the end of July. I had seen photos of him on Facebook, I knew he had gone to Burning Man, or at least I had assumed he’d gone to Burning Man, but no word in about six weeks. I’d said I’d get ahold of him this past week and I was successful.

He sent me notes covering about 185 pages, which took me a couple of nights to get through. I really hate seeing how bad my grammar and spelling can get. But his notes were very helpful and I like that he makes me rethink some of what I've written. I always want to make the book better. Plus, it was good to get back into Public and Private after so long.

One rejection this week, “could connect with the voice” was the only comment. Doesn’t sound like any easy fix. The disappointing thing is that even if I changed the voice, the agent probably wouldn’t look at it again. That’s why I take a rejection and move on. Had another query fall by the wayside due to lack of response. The agent’s website says if you don’t hear back within 30 days consider it a pass. Again, you have to move on. Currently, I have an agent with the entire manuscript and I’m waiting to hear yeah, nay or nothing from five others. I need to get back on the submission horse this week.

As part of Silent Saturdays in September, I published a review of one of my favorite films, Steamboat Bill, Jr. I really enjoy writing these, but I just wish I knew more people read them. Speaking of Trophy Unlocked, I did some more preliminary work on reviews for October, when we’ll be concentrating on horror films and switching our postings to Fridays to coincide with Halloween.

Spent most of my writing time this weekend on a future review for Trophy Unlocked; Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) that clocks in at around 5,000 words. It was my first time to really watch the film from start to finish, but you’ll have to wait awhile to read my review.

Finding the time to write is always a bit of a challenge. Working takes up so much valuable waking time and on the weekend there’s always errands to run and, of course, I want to spend time with my family. I really wish I had more time, but that’s the goal, to make a living writing.

Well, that about wraps up the week. My goal for next week is to send out more queries for representation; and of course, that 1000 words a day.


Comments welcomed.

1 comment: