Sunday, July 31, 2022

A Week in Writing #415 - Getting Back into the Swing

Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

I don't know about you but my life seems like one long routine. By that, I mean there are days when I'm supposed to do something, like Sundays this blog. Once that routine gets disrupted, it is sometimes hard to get back into it. Holidays, family events, and Comic-Con are all things that throw off your schedule for good and for bad, and finding that groove again is sometimes hard.

I still managed the basics, including my new query on Thursday. This time I actually re-queried someone I had previously queried three years ago with a different version of Broken People. I wonder if they'll remember. While I know what you're thinking, they must have gotten thousands in the past three years, I've been surprised before. Agents might not be good at things like getting back to you on queries but they sometimes keep track of stories they've rejected.

I also fiddled about with fka Skylar this week. I guess I should come up with a better title since Skylar is now called Lillie. I'm going through now trying to do a better job of connecting the two stories together. My main character, J.D. Barrister, is handling a case for a neighbor, Lillie, who is being trafficked by her former drug dealer to pay off a debt, and his presumed future father-in-law wants him to work on a case involving a tontine that his father-in-law signed after World War II. Originally, I had Skylar being that neighbor and, while she had the same issue with her former drug dealer, it was her father who had signed the tontine.

Not much to report about Powers Squared this week. No new pages from either the artist or the colorist, though I've been promised pages are coming. I did take a second look at a future script for the book. I didn't realize that the last time I had looked at it was a year ago but I wanted to make some changes and one change led to several others. Not sure it's the final form but I'm thinking it's getting close.

We tried a new sort of episode for On the Air with Powers Squared, a comic book club. All five of us read Spy x Family by Tatsuya Endo. I know it's a manga but that was the title we settled on. You can listen to it now or watch it on Wednesday when it hits YouTube. We're going to do the next one in September, this time it's going to be Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales, so read ahead and join us.

I'm currently reading a graphic novel The Fade Out by Ed Brubaker but I don't think we'll all be reading that for the show.

I wrote one review this week, which went up on Saturday Morning on Trophy Unlocked, Thor: Love and Thunder, which while still out in theaters has been there for a couple of weeks. As part of the celebration of my wedding anniversary, the four of us went to a 10:30 am showing. It was almost like a private screening, which was the point. In the anniversary spirit, I started to review Bull Durham which was the film on our first date. Not sure when I'll get that finished and when it will appear.

The Wednesday Game Day review was Trevor's review of Lucky's Tale (PS VR).

I feel like this is a bit short, but I think that's about all from me. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment