Sunday, July 3, 2022

A Week in Writing #411 - Getting Ready

Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

There is so much to get ready for in July. If you're not a subscriber to The Hound Dogs' Howl, the Powers Squared newsletter, then you may not know that our next issue, #13 The Imposter Part 1, is coming out on July 13th. That's a Wednesday for all those Triskaidekaphobians out there, so it shouldn't be unlucky. In the next week or so, I'm going to have to make sure all the preps have been made, including updating our Campus Store website, making sure the providers are ready as well, and getting out a news release and The Bark, our bulletin.

To that end, I was working on updates to our website and to Artithmeric's, our British on-demand publisher. In addition to the new issue, we're also premiering a new line of Chibi t-shirts designed by our colorist, Julia Canon, who will be making her Powers Squared debut with the issue, even though she's been working with us for a couple of years now.

We also have a video to premiere along with the issue about a new character we're introducing, Pedro. So much to do. This goes back to my last blog about the work of writing.

Our OAPS this week was with Kurt Zauer, an indie creator who reached out to us. That's always interesting. Apparently, he was told we have a good show, which is always nice to hear. He was on the floor of the Anime Midwest Con where he had a booth in Artist Alley. He also has a Kickstarter, which he also wanted to talk about. You can check out the audio here and on Wednesday, the video will be on our YouTube channel, if you want to check it out. It's always nice to meet other creators out there.

Alas, no new review from me this week. Our Drain the DVR Saturday hit a snag when the movie, Girl Crazy (1932) was out of synch, for some reason, and unwatchable. Hopefully, we'll see it some other time.

I did have a review published, today, as a matter of fact, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022); school's back in session. The Saturday Morning Review was Paul's for Lightyear (2022). And the Wednesday Gameday review was Paul's for TimeSplitters: Future Perfect played on an Xbox.

One new query this week for Broken People. I haven't heard back from any of the last several so far, even ones that other writers were reporting were not handling new clients. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I try to give agents a reasonable amount of time before DNRing them (Did Not Respond). I'm really happy with the rewrite of Chapter One, so I'm hopeful I'll catch someone's attention, at least to send more pages.

The big news is I've been able to work on fka Skylar. I still call it that, even though the character's name has changed. I don't have a good title for it yet. I'm going back through it, I know again, trying to add bits where I can. I had another idea that I'm sure will work better than the last one.

The other thing to get ready for is San Diego Comic-Con, which is rapidly approaching. We're just attendees again this year but there are still people to see and things to discuss. We're a little apprehensive about a large-scale in-person event but we're trying to be cautious in our approach. Whatever I find out, I will divulge in my Report from the Front, though it will be delayed a day, as I will be driving most of Sunday. Thanks in advance for understanding.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment