Sunday, August 1, 2021

A Week in Writing #363 - Recovering from Comic-Con@Home


I hope everyone is staying safe, staying well, and is, of course, writing.

Usually following Comic-Con I go through a slight depression. I don't mean that I get clinically depressed or anything like that but that after five days of living the dream, the reality of life sort of sucks. When you do Comic-Con from home it's not quite the same thing, so getting back to reality isn't as jarring.

My excuse this week for not sending any queries this week is that Thursdays, the night I try to send them out when I do, was also my wedding anniversary and even though ours was a home-bound celebration, I didn't have the time or inclination to send them that night.

With that out of the way, let's get on to what I did do, which includes getting back to Skylar, my oft written about but little worked on current novel. There were a couple of days this week that I did get  1000 words plus written. There is a change that I want to make to the story but I'm going to wait until I get through a complete draft before making it. But I'm feeling good about it.

I started a new review that I'll try to finish tonight for Big City Blues (1932). My review of Downstairs (1932) was this week's Saturday Morning Review on Trophy Unlocked. Prior to that on Wednesday, it was Paul's review of the video game The Mummy Demastered for the PS4.

On to Powers Squared. This week, we finally worked out the pencils for pages 5 through 8 and we should be receiving the inks any day now. This has been a surprisingly difficult issue though I don't think it has anything to do with our artist, who seems game to go through multiple versions so we can get what we're after.

We did two podcasts this week. On Thursday, we shot our 100th episode of On the Air with Powers Squared, interviewing Carla Hoch, the author of Fight Write, a book written to help writers with fight scenes in their books. I think it was a great interview and I encourage you to watch and/or listen to it when we release it on the 6th. We had met Carla at the Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference in 2018, which seems like a decade ago, and she was nice enough to be our guest.

On Friday, we did our usual live OAPS podcast, with Trevor as a guest. We talked about Comic-Con@Home and our impressions of the virtual event.

I'm hoping that this month we concentrate on two things. One is the cover and back for the BD that will be a part of the Artithmeric-sponsored Kickstarter, which is scheduled for October. We've done some preliminary work on the front cover with Rachel and discussed an idea for the back but I'd like this to be a priority.

The other is for Paul and I to work on the Pitch packet for Powers Squared that we've been kicking around since before the pandemic. I'm hoping we can put it together and get it done.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment