Sunday, February 21, 2021

A Week in Writing #339 - Grammar Check Woes

I hope everyone is staying safe and writing.

When I say I love editing, I guess I should qualify that. I'm not big on grammar checking, which I'm in the middle of doing with Broken People. As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I'm using an online grammar program that only checks online writing. I'm using it by copying up to 50 pages at a time into Outlook Mail and then seeing what issues the program finds and updating the manuscript accordingly.

It's a somewhat tedious process and I still have about 200 pages to go. If it hasn't been obvious to this point, grammar is not my strong suit. In fact, my son Paul, who along with his brother is really good at it, goes through this post every Sunday before it gets published. I really couldn't do this without his support.

This program I'm using finds errors that are not there, which only adds to my frustration with the process. It will tell me that something like "The document" needs a "the" in front of the word "document". It's not something I look forward to, though I know it's a necessary step in the process.

So here's an update on the queries I do have pending. The agent that said they would get back in three weeks if interested hasn't after five weeks, so I'm pretty sure it's a silent "no". There is still one that has another week to go before I pull the plug on that.

I did do some sporadic work on Skylar this week but nothing to write home about, so I won't bother to get into word count here.

On Powers Squared, a lot of artwork from our artist this week, all good. I got feedback from Paul on the Parents' Day script so I think, at least for the moment, it's done. We have about five issues to go before we get to it, so it'll stay on the virtual shelf for a while.

This coming Monday, Paul and I are virtually sitting down with an expert to discuss marketing Powers Squared. It's an hour's worth of his time so I'm hoping we get some good information out of it. We know there are things that we need to do to get the book in front of more eyes, so I'm hopeful something will come of this.

Onto reviews, I finished one new one this week, The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020), which we watched on YouTube on Friday night. And before you think it was a pirated copy it was authorized by Netflix. I also started a new one for Illicit (1931), another pre-code film.

A couple of new videogame reviews on Trophy Unlocked. On Wednesday, Trevor's review of New Super Lucky's Tale for the Xbox One and then on Saturday his review of Little Nightmares II.

So in the coming week, after the big Marketing meeting, I'll see where we go from there. Most likely more work on Broken People and Skylar.

In the meantime, keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment