Sunday, February 14, 2021

A Week in Writing #338 - Happy Valentine's Day


Hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's Day, are staying safe, and, of course, writing.

I set out this week with certain goals and I think I made most of them, however, I failed in one. I was hoping to finish my review of Spider-Man 3 and I have not done so. I know it may seem like small potatoes but I'm still working through it. The film is my least favorite of the Sam Raimi trilogy but I don't want to give too much of my review away now.

I did finish writing another one, though. I've been reading the TCM book Forbidden Hollywood about Pre-Code films and have been on a bit of a pre-code kick. A film that got mentioned, almost in passing, in the book was on recently, so I recorded it and we watched it as part of our drain the DVR Saturdays. The film was Beauty and The Boss (1932) starring Marian Marsh and Warren William. That review I completed and as usual not sure when it will appear on Trophy Unlocked.

I did get published again this past Saturday. Since today in Valentine's Day, what seemed more appropriate than The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967)? Well, probably some romantic film but the title fit the day so it went up. Previously in the week, the Wednesday review was Trevor's review of Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5).

The bulk of what writing I did accomplish was working on Broken People. I managed to go through the entire book and am currently doing about 50 pages at a time through the online grammar program. I'm up to about page 165. It is interesting that the program will sometimes call out things that are correct, like asking me to add "the" in front of a word that already has the determiner in front of it. And sometimes, it would sacrifice flavor for correct grammar, if that makes sense, wanting me to make a change that is not in line with what I'm writing.

I also finally finished my draft of a new script for Powers Squared called Parents' Day, in which Marty and Eli's parents make their first appearance in the comic book. Like my reviews, I'm not sure when this will make it into the book, as we have others in line ahead of it. It took several edits to get to this point and I'm sure there will be others after Paul has had a chance to weigh in on it.

We had a fascinating conversation with other creators this past Friday on our On the Air with Powers Squared. Bin Lee and Tina Cesa Ward, the creators and writers of Delegates were our guests. I'm enjoying meeting other creators and talking shop with them. One always wants to find their peers and I think we're learning something from them as well. You can always listen in on our website https://powerssquaredcomicbook.com/oaps. There are also links there to other platforms if you prefer them as well.

A busy week in Powers Squared as well, with our artist delivering four new pages, as well as four new character designs for our Pitch packet project. There is always some back and forth with these but nothing out of the ordinary.

Well, that about does it for me. Hope you keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment