Sunday, June 2, 2019

A Week in Writing #249


Okay, this seems to be sounding like a broken record but didn't get to everything I wanted to this past week. Now, in this case, I was sort of under the weather with a cough and a bad back (I know, poor pitiful me). I know, neither was really that bad, just enough to slow me down.

I did manage to do some writing on The Runaway. Like I did with Familiar Stranger, I'm sort of going back through the manuscript, rewriting what I had already rewritten in an effort to get a running start back into the book. I know where I want it to go, it's just getting it back on track is all. As I know you know, it's a very interesting process to go back through what you've written. It's actually my favorite part of the writing process, making it better. There are little things that I'm changing so far that I think are improving the writing.

No new queries for Broken People this week and no new contact with the editor on the above mentioned Familiar Stranger. I guess he's still alive, at least he's still listed on the company where I think he works. As I mentioned in last week's post, my mother actually called the guy but never heard back from him. While that's sort of embarrassing on a certain level, my mommy fighting my battles and all, she is the one who introduced us. She thought he would at least call her back. I'm wondering if he's changed his cell number, which is all we have. Now the big question, do I call him at his place of employment? I'm reticent to do that but it has been over a year since I've heard from him. That might be my only recourse. I'll have to weigh that for a bit.

Published my first non-Batman review in a month with Blondie Johnson (1933) on Trophy Unlocked. I'm still working on my review of Sabrina, but I did finish and publish one for Rocketman, the new Elton John bio/fantasy film that just came out.

I'm writing this all down a day earlier than I usually do since on June 2nd, Powers Squared will be attending our first Con, San Fernando Vally Comic Book Convention. I'm a little apprehensive as I'm not sure how much the Free Comic Book Day signing prepared us for this. I'm hopeful that this will be a good intro into Comic Book Cons. We are not ready for anything major like WonderCon or Comic-Con; we're not even ready for the Long Beach Comic-Con, which is pretty costly.

The goal is to get signups for our mailing list, though we will have books to sell. I feel like we're such newbs going in. But that means we have a lot to learn, which is actually a good thing. I'll be sure to write more about this experience in next week's blog post, so there will be something to look forward to.

We did get some inked pages from Rachel this past week, jpegs, not tiffs. We asked for one small change to one panel. We did pass along to her some positive comments we received when we posted her thumbnails on Instagram, as part of our Peek-of-the-Week we started with our newsletter. While we first publicize it in our newsletter, we do post it on Instagram later in the week to be sure. The comments were pretty positive and we thought she should know.

Trevor finished his pages for Issue #10, so that's in its last steps. Paul and I need to review those as well. But that will have to wait until next week as well.

Because I wasn't 100 percent, I didn't listen to any of the ComixLaunch ListLaunch podcasts, so I've got to get back to that this next week. I hate to say it, but I really seem to wrangle with the homework, as in I don't want to do it. Some things never change, I guess.

So much to do and so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment