Sunday, June 4, 2017

A Week in Writing #145

First of all, I want to say thank you for all the concern about my step-father. He's still in the hospital and weak. He was out of Intensive Care for most of the week, but he's gone back in. The news does not sound good.

Something I'd like to pass on from my sudden trip last weekend is that writing and airplane travel don't mix very well. I had taken along my laptop hoping I could get some writing done while in flight. It has been a long time since I had flown and found that there was no longer enough room on that little folding tray to even open the laptop up. When the entertainment system didn't work on the return trip I was helpless to sit there bored out of my wits. Note to self, always take a book or pages to edit.

Most of the week was spent on the comic book and writing reviews and once again not on Familiar Stranger. I can't seem to get to it anymore, which frustrates me greatly. I have done some thinking about it and have played with dialogue in my head but while that's a part of the writing process, it really isn't writing in the truest sense.

Did manage to complete a new review that I was planning to publish on Trophy Unlocked as the Saturday Morning Review, but I changed my mind. We went to see Wonder Woman on Friday afternoon so I wrote a review of that film. Decided it was best to publish that and not try and double-dip with the planned review of Dance, Fools, Dance (1931); that can keep for another day. I also finished a review of San Francisco (1936), another Clark Gable film and yes I did sort of watch the recent Star-of-the-Month salute to him on TCM. I'm also going to review Red Dust and possibly Journey Into Fear, an Orson Welles film of sorts from 1942.

Powers Squared continued to pre-occupy most of my "writing" time this week. The artist is working on four pages, which takes a lot of time to review through the steps. And the letterer is also making good progress. Despite the work, it is good to see things moving forward.

Then there is the business of the comic book, the copyrights, the submissions, the website, etc., all of which also take time.

There are a few comic book companies that publish creator-owned titles, so we're starting that process as well. While on the surface writing a one-page synopsis doesn't seem that hard, it is still something that takes time and rewriting to get it right.

So, last week was a little truncated, but I still got some things done. The problem with planning too much for next week is I'm not sure what the future holds as to my step-father and his health. Some things are more important than others; it's all a balancing act.

No comments:

Post a Comment