Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Week in Writing #16

Ho, ho, ho. The week started with a DNR (Did Not Respond) turning into a full fledged rejection. DNRs are sort of like maybes and give you a little bit of hope that they just haven't seen it yet. Nothing better to put you in the Christmas spirit than a form letter turning you down. Merry Christmas, let me rub a little salt in that wound for you.

Wrote and edited a 3300 word future review for Trophy Unlocked. Not sure when the piece about The Cameraman (1928) will appear. Watched it on Sunday night. Buster Keaton is really funny.

Had a tweet retweeted, though it had nothing to do with my writing, rather a review that appeared on the blog. The writer of the comic book liked the review. Whew! But I doubt he would have re-tweeted a negative response: Check out this review. They hated my work.

Did have one of my own reviews, Bachelor Mother, re-tweeted. The pageviews went up by about 60 percent as a result; thank you Warner Archives.

Worked on another review for the blog, the last for the year, Holiday (1938), about 2800 words. Chcck Trophy Unlocked on Saturday when it should be published. On the topic of the blog and reviews, we decided to do one of Team America: World Police (2004) as a reaction to the cancelled release of The Interview. Team America had been the choice of some smaller theaters as a replacement, only to have Paramount nix that. That review, by another writer on the blog, should be published on Christmas Day.

Speaking of Trophy Unlocked, it just had it's fourth anniversary, which is quite an accomplishment. I've only been writing for it for about three and a half years and I really enjoy having a place to publish reviews of older movies that we watch at home.

Back to my mystery writing, I did get some rewrites done, but with work and Christmas, it's hard to find the time to get too far. I'm still going through the same patch, but this time I'm determined to get past it. I'm hoping that the holidays, with more than a week off, will give me the time to get more done.

I did hear back from the agent who has my manuscript. She says she's behind in her reading, which I take at face value. For now, it's not a rejection, so I'm happy it's still in play. If she likes it, but wants rewrites, I'm open to that as well. My goal is to have a publishable novel, so any and all suggestions, comments and edits that make it better are welcomed.

All in all, between reviews and rewrites, I made my 1000 words a day goal, I just feel like there is more I can and want to do. Well, one more week of the year to go. Hope everyone has a happy holidays and a Merry Christmas.

And above all, keep writing.

1 comment:

  1. It feels awesome to read such informative and unique articles on your websites. best wordpress themes

    ReplyDelete