Sunday, September 1, 2024

A Week in Writing #524 - Finally Getting Up to Speed

Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

For whatever reason, the last two weeks have been a slog for me trying to get anything done. Late starts and falling asleep haven't helped. But this past week, I feel like I got back into it and made some real progress on things.

But let's start with the newest issue of Powers Squared, "Family Affair, Part 1", which drops on September 4. In this issue, Marty and Eli must get ready for something they've been trying to avoid, seeing their parents, Peter and Peggy Powers. And it turns out that their parents have secrets of their own. The issue will be available in both print and digital through The Campus Store on our website.

We also recorded a preview of the issue with colorist Julia Canon joining Paul, Trevor and myself. It is scheduled to be released the same day that the issue comes out. Hear it now here or watch it later on our YouTube channel (@powerssquared).

Speaking of podcasts, next week will be #260 for On the Air with Powers Squared, or five years, so be sure to check it out next Friday, September 6 at 6 pm PDT on twitch.tv/powerssquared.

That leads me to the newsletter, The Hound Dogs' Howl, which came out today. It's not hard to write, but it does take some time and I have to come up with a couple of news items besides just pointing to past podcasts. This time, I wrote about Gabriel Bá and Fábio Moon, twins comic book writers and creators from Brazil. While you should join the mailing list, you can also read it here if you'd like.

Still getting ready for our turn at L.A. Comic-Con. I don't yet know where on the floor we'll be, but the panel I proposed, Under the Radar, will be Sunday at noon in room 406 B. We're planning on a pre-Con podcast with the participants and moderator on Friday, September 27.

There always seems like there's something else to do to get ready and I'm afraid we're still putting together the pieces. I would imagine things would be going together quicker and cheaper if this wasn't our first major Con. Hopefully, the next one won't take so much set up. Hopefully, there will be a next one.

We have all the books. This week, we bought sample t-shirts to hang up. Again, we're not selling them at the Con, but I've reduced the price on each to $20 and there will be a 15% discount, so I hope that is enticing enough to hopefully make some sales during the Con. Still need to buy the dolly for all the stuff.

Finished my review of Lady Be Good this week and began the process around The First Auto. My review of High School Confidential! (1958) was the Saturday Morning Review on Trophy Unlocked. When we were picking one, I thought it might be appropriate since school was starting all over the country.

And I also worked on Skylar this week. Though I never wrote a 1000 words a day, that's a goal, I did complete the first draft of a chapter I wanted to write, so I made progress there as well.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment