Sunday, March 27, 2022

A Week in Writing #397 - Kickstarter Delayed But Live Soon

Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

I know I did a lot of plugging last week for our Kickstarter and you can imagine my disappointment when it got delayed. There are a couple of reasons for that happening. The official reason is that my co-collaborator on the campaign was sick with COVID. He's supposed to be back in the office tomorrow so that's when we rescheduled it to. The other reason was that Monday is a better day to launch according to our consultant. I wasn't sure we were delaying it until the morning it was supposed to go live. So, I had to quickly cancel a post and a version of our newsletter, The Bark, and write a new one.

I feel kind of bad, having pushed the Kickstarter start date and then have to rescind it but I guess that's what happens sometimes. Again, I'll ask you to support it https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artithmeric/powers-squared-a-twin-superhero-drama. I'd appreciate your support.

I don't often mention our weekly podcast. Of course, I would want you to listen or watch. This week, we had Steve Bee on the show. It was actually an interview we pre-taped since he's in England. Steve is an interesting guy; a pension expert, he is also a published cartoonist, a comic book creator and co-founder of Artithmeric. Currently, you can listen to it on our website at https://powerssquaredcomicbook.com/oaps and watch it at twitch.tv/powerssquared.

I end up doing a lot of social posts, not all of them successful, trying to publicize the comic book and Trophy Unlocked. One of the platforms I use is Pinterest. For some reason, this week, I lost the ability to save Pins. Sort of frustrating to hit save and wait thirty minutes and it's still saving, which means it's not.

I ended up writing two reviews this week, the first for Jingle All the Way (1996) and the other for Nanook of the North (1922). Very different films to say the least. The first was the film we watched on Friday night via Hulu. My sons had been wanting to watch it because it had been mentioned in some videos they had watched. Nanook was something I DVRed a few years ago when it was on TCM. I thought it might be interesting for my sons to see it. As it turns out, it will be celebrating its 100th anniversary this June, and I think that we can publish it on the anniversary of its release.

In other Trophy Unlocked news, the Saturday morning review was Trevor's of The Cat Returns (2002). The Wednesday Game Day review was Paul's review of Spyro Reignited Trilogy (2018), a platformer collection from Activision.

I failed this week to send a new query. I had the time but just couldn't find the right agent to send it to. I'm looking for ones who only want a query letter and pages. I'm, for now, trying to avoid online forms and those agents looking for one to two-page synopsis. It really comes down to more things to be worried about. Did I use the right example of a book like mine? Did I summarize the 92,000+ words correctly? They just seem like one more easy way to get thrown into the reject pile as opposed to being judged on the merits of the writing itself. I'll try to get back to it next week.

To wrap it up, I did make progress again on fka Skylar. I'm still getting to the part of the story I've been thinking about for some time now. I'm hoping that I get to it this week so I can move on to other things.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment