Sunday, March 6, 2022

A Week in Writing #394 - Feeling Like I Belong

Hope everyone is staying safe, vaccinated, and, of course, writing.

Every so often, I really enjoy having a comic book more than usual. And it's not the sales, but because I get to meet different people than I normally would, people that are also in the same position as we are with Powers Squared. On Saturday afternoon, Paul and I spent a little more than an hour on a live podcast with host Greg Moquin, the SeerNova Podcast or SNP with other creators, Tim Waits, Peter Welmerink, JT Molloy, and Christian Douglas, who like us have indie comic books and have Kickstarters either in progress or pending.

This came the day after hosting Paige Redbird on On the Air with Powers Squared. Even though Paige had colored three issues for us about five years ago, we had never met her until Friday's podcast. She turned out to be an amazing person who had done and is still doing some really interesting things. I was really glad that we were able to reconnect with her, as well as the other creators the next day.

Friday didn't start off so well from a comic book perspective. As I've written here before, we're a few weeks away now from launching a Kickstarter with Artithmeric for Powers Squared. Even though we had, along with our consultant, been making suggestions and asking questions, they seem to have gone down their own path, made their own decisions, and to add insult to injury, sent us a giant long .jpg to review the proposed page. I don't know if you've ever been presented with something like that, but they don't print out. And yes, I probably could have or had someone with better photoshop skills chop it up into bite-sized, printable pieces, but I don't think I should have to do that.

I've since calmed down but my first reaction is that I didn't want to do business with them. I felt ignored and insulted and that's not a great motivator for me. I am waiting for the proper scans to be sent on Monday before I write back but I am not a happy camper. I want this to be a success but I truly was rethinking my involvement with them in the future. There's still time to make things better so I'm still hopeful that the Kickstarter will be a success despite them.

This week, we sent our weekly newsletter to people on our mailing list (which you could join by signing up here). I try to write about twins in media, either creatives or characters. This week, I did Julius and Vincent Benedict. I mention that for two reasons, trying to get people to sign up for our mailing list and as a transition to posts on Trophy Unlocked.

No new review for me this week. We watched The Mitchells vs. The Machines on Saturday night, rather than draining the DVR. Saturday morning's review was Paul's for Free Guy, and Wednesday's Game Day review was another from Paul, Spyro the Dragon.

Did some work earlier in the week on fka Skylar but that lost out to other work later in the week.

And, of course, since everyone wants to know, I did send a new query letter this week. I've continued my research on possible agents and have found several who are no longer agents but were still on various lists I used to put together my list. I guess there will be new ones to replace them.

Anyway, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment