Sunday, April 3, 2022

A Week in Writing #398 - WonderCon 2022/Back the Kickstarter

Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

Did something this past weekend that I hadn't done in several months and attended a convention, WonderCon in Anaheim. A little apprehensive about the excursion on a couple of fronts. First, still worried about COVID, but everyone was supposed to be vaccinated and wear masks, though not everyone did the latter. Also, my son Paul was recovering from being under the weather, not COVID, and we weren't sure he was going until the morning of. Even then it took us over two hours to drive down there.

We didn't really stay long or attend any panels, so no news from the front report this time. There were some I wanted to attend but we were late to one and there was a speed-dating type Creators, Assemble! Comics Community Creating Camaraderie that I wasn't really prepared for, plus there was at least one of us who would be left to hang for an hour at the end of the day, so I backed off. I was hoping for more of a networking opportunity and peeking in through the doors it looked more serious than that.

Did make contact with some old friends. It's not a convention unless we run into Gary Teetzel, someone I've probably known for over 20 years. We used to work together at MGM, which he still does though it's now spelled A-M-A-Z-O-N. He is very much a convention goer and it's always great to run into him and catch up.

There were some creators we know, Don Ngyuen, Sean Galloway, Patrick Ballesteros, and Stephen Silver, that we made a point to say hello to. And there was Mr. Comic Creator Connection, Doug Neff, and his husband Corey Rothermel that we try to see at every Con. We're trying to get Doug for our show On the Air with Powers Squared.

Speaking of which, we didn't have one this week, due to Paul being under the weather. We should be a go next week. It's the first time in over two years since we didn't do a show. It was kind of weird to have that time available on a Friday. Didn't really know what to do with myself if you must know.

Our Kickstarter launched on Monday and we're off to an okay start, just shy of 50% of the goal. I had really hoped for a bigger kickoff but I guess we're not big enough for that. Either that or we need images of big-breasted girls on the covers, those books always seem to fund multiple times over. Again, I would appreciate if you're reading this that you support the Kickstarter. It would really mean a lot to me.

I spent a lot of my time posting about the Kickstarter this week but I did find time to query another agent to represent Broken People.

And I did make some good progress on fka Skylar. I'm stlll getting to the chapter I've been thinking about for what seems like months now but I hope to get there this week.

Wrote a review for Trophy Unlocked, Torch Singer (1933), a pre-code Hollywood film starring Claudette Colbert. I had heard about it from the Renee Patrick newsletter. It was a film they liked. Again, not sure when it will appear. Saturday's Morning Review was Trevor's Winnie the Pooh (2011) and GameDay Wednesday's was Paul's review of Aperture Desk Job for PC.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment