Sunday, June 6, 2021

A Week in Writing #354 - Bumpy Week


Hope everyone is staying safe and, of course, writing.

This has been a surprisingly bumpy week for me. I never felt like I had the time to really get into anything very deep. It always seemed like by the time I got to sit down at my laptop to write I only had an hour or less left in the day. My sign-off for writing seems to be 10:30 at night and by that, I mean I'm physically unable to write anymore. It's like a little switch goes off and I'm done. Oh, I might be able to rekindle the fire but not for long.

So, what I'm trying to say is don't have big expectations as you're reading this.

I don't know if this is you but I have a routine I try to follow. Once work is over, there are things I do, like take a walk, watch the evening news, eat and then write. I might do some posts along the way but by and large, I usually get to writing sometime around 8:30 to 9 each night and that gives me 90 minutes to 2 hours to get something done.

Now, when I write it is usually on a TV tray in the living room with something on the TV that I'm already familiar with, like Friends or The Big Bang Theory. Something I can have on but not pay attention to. I know there's so much great TV these days and if I tried to watch it all I'd get nothing done.

One of the recurring items this week has been artwork for Powers Squared. On Tuesday, our artist sent us thumbnails for the last four pages of an issue and the choices for the cover. It's not hard work but it does sort of derail you. I once heard someone say that an interruption at work, like a phone call, lasts longer than the interruption itself. And that's true with this, though I don't want to call it an interruption, though the appearance of images to review can put off whatever else I might have wanted to work on that night. And this went on pretty much every night this week as we went back and forth and are still going back and forth on the cover image. In fact, there is a thumbnail from Friday that Paul and I still have to review and give comments on.

On Wednesday, my wife was feeling under the weather one day, so now I'm on the hook for dinner, which was takeout pizza, but still, it's getting out of the routine that is really the issue. And I know personal responsibility takes precedent over writing but this is a blog about writing, not about personal responsibilities.

Thursday night, the room where I sit to write was part of a staging area for the sale of a collection the next day. Not that I was really involved with that process but I wasn't able to really reclaim the space until after 10 and that only gave me 30 minutes at best. So, no new queries this week from me.

Friday nights I don't normally write as that's our family pizza/movie night. We do watch a movie on Saturdays, as part of our drain the DVR process. This week it was Mystery House (1938), which I did write a review of over two days, since at 10:30 on Saturday I was done for the night, at least writing-wise. As always, not sure when it will appear on Trophy Unlocked.

As always, it went on without me with two reviews, Astro Bot Rescue Mission written by Trevor on Wednesday and Paul's review of The Road to El Dorado on Saturday.

I finished my review up on Sunday morning as I also finished our Hound Dogs' Howl newsletter (which you can read) and a draft of character descriptions for our Pitch Packet (which you cannot).

Sadly, Skylar is the one who paid the price, as I never got to that book this week.

So, it's been a bumpy week for me.

Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week and hopefully, things will go smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment