Sunday, June 13, 2021

A Week in Writing #355 - Doing Two Things at Once


Hope this finds everyone well and writing.

I'm trying to write this while bidding on some items on eBay, so pardon me if I get distracted. I do have interests outside of writing and it's always a balance between the two.

We had our monthly all-hands-on-deck meeting on OAPS this week. If you're new to the blog, in addition to writing and producing a comic book, my son Paul and I host a podcast, On the Air with Powers Squared, which is essentially about our comic book but also about things related to it. We've done some interviews with other creators, marketing wiz Gamal Hennessy and IDW Editor-in-Chief John Barber. But I think the ones I like best are when we get the other creatives from our book (Rachel Wells, Julia Canon, and Trevor Hankins) on the show. It's a chance to catch up, tell them the bigger plans we have and encourage them.

You might not think about it but there is a lot that goes into doing a comic book even if you're not the artist. Very time-consuming little details, which every week I find someplace where I could do better. And it's hard sometimes to be timely with a tweet when the video goes up at 2:45 on Wednesday afternoons since I also have a full-time job.

And I haven't even scratched the surface on all of the things I should be doing if I had the know-how and the time to do it. Oh, sweet marketing, you're very confusing and mysterious.

This week, I did more work on a new story for the comic book. If you're not a reader (and you should be), this issue involves Dr. Atlas coming to the boys and Mocha for help. He must be pretty desperate to do that. Last week, I wrote part one of the story. This week, I wrote part two, which is about 4013 words long. I'm not done but this is what I spent a lot of my time on. You know, you get in the groove on something and it's working so you want to complete it.

I did write a 2400+ word review for Trophy UnlockedSo This is Paris, a silent comedy from 1926, directed by Ernst Lubitsch. This is one of those films I found that TCM was showing a while back and it sounded special from their description. As it turned out, it was really good. As always, not sure when this will see the light of day but it is another one in the bag, so to speak, and ready to go.

Otherwise, a pretty busy week on the blog with four reviews, including Duck Tales: Remastered (PS3) on Wednesday written by Paul; Friday saw another videogame review, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 again written by Paul. On Saturday, my review of Ghost in the Shell (2017)the live-action remake of the anime classic, was featured; and on Sunday, Trevor's review of Raya and the Last Dragon plus the accompanying short Us Again.

By the time I got to Skylar, my novel, I started to rethink my rewrite so far. I want to get into the action pretty quickly but at the same time, this is part of a series and a lot has happened to my main character. I have to come up with a way of being able to bring all that out. I like the idea of showing rather than telling so I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

So, I know I'm bad with the queries. I did some more looking up possible agents to reject me this week but I did not pull the trigger on any submissions. I'd like to promise I'll do better next week but I won't.

While I will continue to write, this is going to be a very hit-and-miss week (which might be the subtitle for next week's blog).

On Monday, my son and co-creator Paul is going through a graduation ceremony at UCLA for his Fiction Writing Certificate program that he actually completed late last year. No promises on that day or on Thursday, when we're all going to Disneyland's next-door neighbor California Adventure Park. The real goal is not the Avengers Campus but actually the Oswald store that's just inside the gate. Long story and I'll probably tell it next week; got to give you something to come back for. Friday is a holiday, so maybe something will get done.

Well, that about does it for now. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment