Sunday, May 30, 2021

A Week in Writing #353 - Double Rejection

 

Hope everyone is staying safe and writing.

Well, last week I said I would check on the status of my queries. Well, for one of them, I didn't have to wait. Got an actual email rejection, this one from the British agent I had queried, sort of by mistake. Form letter and to the point: "Thank you for the submission of your novel, Broken People, to me. I am afraid that I do not feel that it is right for my list, but I appreciate you sending it to me. I wish you all the best in your search for an agent." At least they cared enough to send an email.

The other one was DNR. I had submitted to the agent on 3/25. Their submission page stated their policy: "If we are interested in reading your work, we will be in touch. If you have not heard from us within 6-8 weeks, it is safe to assume that we have passed on the opportunity." It's been eight weeks, no response, so they're passing, at least that's what I have to assume.

That put me down to three active and I know I had made the promise to query again. I was going to do that but decided I needed to write a shorter synopsis. It would be really nice if agents had a standard submission they wanted. Most agents want a short synopsis but that can be anything from a paragraph to 5 pages. The one I was interested in querying wanted a 1-2 page synopsis, regrettably not something I had on hand. To avoid trying to just edit down a longer one, I decided to handwrite it out, which I did. I just haven't tried to sit down and decipher my bad handwriting.

Having an extra couple of days around the holiday hasn't really been the write-fest I had hoped. I think the problem is there is still so much to write. I did work on the first part of a possible future script for Powers Squared. By that I got through a first draft with 20 pages and panels, so that's a win, I guess.

Started a review of Her Man (1930). The film was recently restored and shown on TCM as part of their film festival. Part of our drain the DVR Saturday night. There is surprisingly very little on the film, including the barest of synopsis, even on AFI's survey. As always, no idea when it will ever appear; I have to finish it first.

Trophy Unlocked goes on without me, with two reviews, both by Paul. On Wednesday, it was Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5) and on Saturday, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run.

I did make some progress on Skylar. I've changed up the story, starting with a murder which I will link to the tontine storyline. Trying to get to the action as soon as possible.

On our weekly podcast, On the Air with Powers Squared, we started to talk about a new script, one on which Paul was the primary writer. I think we'll be following this issue on future episodes. Something we've talked about doing but I like the idea that we're starting from the beginning. If you're counting at home, this would be Issue #19.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment