Sunday, March 14, 2021

A Week in Writing #342 - Going Global


Hope this finds everyone staying safe and writing.

Okay, I should probably start off with that I mean by the title; I don't want to bury the headline. This weekend, actually today, which is cheating a bit, we put up the 10 issues of Powers Squared on a new service to us, GlobalComix. We were introduced to the service through Gamal Hennessy, the general counsel and vice president of content for a new comics distribution and marketing. We met him through his recent Kickstarter and a week or so ago, had a one-on-one (two-on-one, as Paul also attended) to discuss marketing for Powers Squared.

The site allows readers to simply open the book online rather than download an app to read it. We've made the first five pages (which includes the cover) free and we're hoping to get some exposure and readers on the site. If you want to look at our collection there, https://globalcomix.com/c/powers-squared. That makes five platforms where issues can be purchased, so I think we're set.

One of the bits of advice Gamal gave us was to try to sell to libraries. That sounded like a good idea and we tried, with Paul contacting someone at CSUN, his and Trevor's alma mater, about buying the graphic novel. Well, we were turned down flat but it the nicest way possible. Apparently, they only purchase from a single middleman, the name of which she gave him. However, I don't think we would make much headway on our own, so I turned to Artithmeric, the publisher of the graphic novel version, to see if they can make any headway in that regard. I figured they would have better luck than we would. They seemed interested, so hopefully, something will come of it.

In other news, our artist is starting on Issue #18 and sent us two sets of thumbnails, which Paul and I went through on Thursday. It's not her fault but I had other goals for that night, like sending out another query but ran out of time.

This was a busy week on Trophy Unlocked, even though none of the reviews were from me. This week was a salute to walking simulators with Paul's review of Gone Home on Monday, his review of Tacoma on Tuesday, his Second Look at The Stanley Parable on Wednesday, Trevor's review of Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist on Thursday and Paul's review of The Beginner's Guide on Friday.

These all lead to a crossing of the streams between Powers Squared and Trophy Unlocked. On our Friday Podcast, On the Air with Powers Squared, Paul reviewed the book House of Leaves, and the next day published his review of the same book on Trophy Unlocked, the first such book to be reviewed.

This week, I finished the two reviews I was working on, Peter Jackson's King Kong and Smart Woman (1931). The Jackson Kong review is going up next Saturday, so look for it. I also started a review on Saturday night that I finished on Sunday for The Secret Six (1931); again, no publication day set.

So now we're down to the nitty-gritty, actual writing of books and that's where, once again, I fall short.  I did work a little on Skylar but really only enough to make me realize that I need to redo some of what I've done so far. The investigation part of the book, it is about a private detective, is rather dull so I need to punch it up with something like a murder. Trust me, I can make it work with the story but it definitely needs something.

I need to punch up a synopsis for Broken People this week. A lot of the online queries want one. I don't think it will be all that hard, since I've written them for various versions of the book but I do need to make one that I can send. I'm never sure when in an email query an agent wants a synopsis but when they ask for one to be attached to a query online, there's no way around that.

I guess a bit of good news is that the two I have out haven't been rejected yet, so hope is alive.

Well, that about wraps it up for me. Keep writing and I'll see you again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment