Sunday, March 28, 2021

A Week in Writing #344 - Lifestyle Choices


Hope everyone is staying safe and writing.

The headline for this blog has as much to do with being a writer as it does with one of our recent guests on our podcast On the Air with Powers Squared. Lucas Scheffel, like so many of us, is a writer, in this case, he writes a comic book, Angry Fred. Lucas was on our show to hype an upcoming Kickstarter he's doing for the next issue of his book. While we've had Lucas on the show before, this time he was talking to us on the road, as it were. Lucas and his partner Julie Anne and their son Phoenix are living a nomadic lifestyle, out of a 1975 16-foot long caravan. Their plan is to drive around Australia for the next year or two, sort of the See America campaign Chevrolet ran decades ago but down under and more serious.

While I am amazed that you can still do so much with so little and while on the move every few days, it is just an example of another lifestyle. Different from mine but also somehow linked. We're both creatives and are working on our projects when we have the time. The important takeaway is that nothing should stop you from being creative. If Lucas can do it, anyone can.

On the subject of OAPS, we had one of our biggest videos out this past week based on our conversation with Gamal Hennessy. While I know a lot of writers have hundreds of thousands of followers, we're really happy that it boosted our YouTube subscribers to 31, the most we've ever had. And while 17 views may not be earth-shattering, we've had more ourselves, it is more views than we've had in a long time. Success comes in steps, so we're looking at these numbers as a positive.

Things have been sort of quiet of late on the comic book. Our artist just recently moved and has been offline as far as we're concerned for the last few weeks. Trying to give her time. Our colorist is working on pages but nothing for most of the month. So if you hear the tumbleweeds rolling through that's why.

In other writing, I did a new query for Broken People, which now makes four that haven't expired or have been rejected (fingers-crossed). One more this week and I'll be up to my goal of 5. I know what you're saying, don't set your sights too high but I want to be proactive but cautious with this.

I'm still working on Skylar, though it never seems like enough. There are always extracurricular activities, other projects, that keep getting in the way. I've tried to take care of some of that this weekend, hoping to give myself more time to work on this writing.

On Trophy Unlocked, we're in the middle of the Godzilla/King Kong MonsterVerse. My review of  Kong Skull Island went up on Wednesday and Trevor's review of Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack went up on Saturday. We're leading up to a review next Saturday of the not-yet-released Godzilla vs. Kong. It's coming out on Wednesday but we're not going to be able to really watch it until Friday. We're also hoping to squeeze in Zack Snyder's 4-hour Justice League sometime soon as well. Time is always in short supply.

In other future review news, I wrote up one for Chances (1931), a pre-code World War I drama that I literally stumbled across on TCM a few weeks ago. You'll have to wait, until when I don't know, to see what I thought of it.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment