Sunday, April 28, 2024

A Week in Writing #506 - Did You Go to IthaCon?


Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

I'm starting this week with Powers Squared news. I sat on the press release for awhile, since we had an issue come out at the same time the books went live, but First Comics News published the press release about LibraryPass. If you're curious, you can read it here. While this may be old news to readers of this blog, I mention it because it leads to another story I want to relate.

I only sent the release out to three outlets, mostly because they've written about Powers Squared before. One of the journalists is a man named Ed Catto, who had done a feature about us for Pop Culture Squad. Rather than publishing the release, he wrote back with an offer. He was heading IthaCon this weekend, in Ithaca, New York and offered to pass out any flyers we might have at the convention. This was Tuesday morning.

To be honest, we don't have a flyer for Powers Squared as we haven't tabled at a major con yet. But it sounded like an opportunity. However, we were going that night to see Spider-Man 2, the best of the Spider-Man films, as part of a Spider-Mondays promotion to celebrate Columbia Pictures 100th anniversary. I know, it was Tuesday night, but they were still showing it.

Getting home at about 10, I put together a flyer and made edits the following morning. IthaCon is a small event, with about 2000 attendees over two days, so we decided to 200. I have this FT job, so Paul and Trevor took it to Kinko's/FedEx, picked out the type of paper and called me. I don't know if you've ever printed 200 copies of anything, but it was quite expensive for us. The store arranged to save us some money and have them printed near where Ed lives and have them delivered to him. Great. I wrote Ed a couple of times but as of this writing haven't heard back, so I hope they went out and were picked up by attendees.

In case, you didn't go, here's what we passed out:

Our Friday podcast was our April team meeting on Friday, with Julia Canon and Trevor attending. (Our colorist, Jen Moreno had a last minute conflict.) You can hear it here or watch it on Wednesday here. After we did that podcast, our former artist Rachel Wells, joined us, along with Julia and Trevor, to discuss Issue #21, Mission: Istanistan, Pt 2, since we would have shot something the Friday before in June, but we have a guest scheduled that Friday.

Next Friday, OAPS starts its month-long salute to Transformers' 40th anniversary with artist Livio Ramondelli. If you'd like to watch the interview live, it should start at 6 pm PT on Friday at twitch.tv/powerssquared.

In addition to that, Saturday is Free Comic Book Day and Rachel is joining us to do a live "What's in My Bag" podcast on Twitch and then on YouTube. That should drop on 1 o'clock PT on twitch.tv/powerssquared and then on our YouTube channel @powerssquared if you're interested in what we select.

And this week, I need to spend time putting together the newsletter, which will go out on May 5. Not too late to sign up at SRCC, if you're interested. (It's FREE)

I'm working on a new review of a very old film, The Johnstown Flood (1926) for Trophy Unlocked. As always, no idea when it will appear. This past Saturday Morning's Review was Trevor's for Nanny McPhee, which like American Fiction was watched on a cell phone during our recent trip to Texas. On Wednesday, Paul's review of Spy X Family Code: White appeared. It was a film we watched last weekend.

And let's not forget Skylar, which was worked on quite a bit this past week. I think I might have even squeezed some work on it on Tuesday. Making good progress and I'd like to think I'll have a draft by the end of May.

But so much to do to get there.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll seee you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment