Sunday, January 7, 2024

A Week in Writing #490 - Getting Stuff Done


Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

In last week's post, I felt like I took the week off, though not really. This week, I worked on several projects, including the newsletter The Hound Dog's Howl; a new issue of Powers Squared, a review for Trophy Unlocked, and, yes, actually work on Skylar.

We've begun work on issue #26 for Powers Squared currently called "The Great Escape". It picks up where Issue 18, "Mocha and Raven, Part 3" left off, at least as it concerns Dr. Atlas, the book's main villian. Our artist, Julia Canon, is working on the first eight pages and we gave her some feedback on the pages she had submitted so far.

On the subject of Powers Squared, I spent part of the week working on the monthly newsletter, including doing a write up about twins in the No More Heroes video game franchise, Travis Touchdown and Henry Cooldown. That's really the hardest part of the newsletter, doing a write up on twins, and usually ones I know next to nothing about starting out.

The final note about Powers Squared is my weekly plug for On the Air with Powers Squared. This week's topic was about characters, like Mickey and Minnie Mouse from Steamboat Willie going into public domain. And while we're not lawyers, we tried to dicuss some of the things you can and cannot do with those characters. There's a link in the newsletter to the audio podcast and the video comes out on Wednesday the 10th here if you can wait until 2:30 PT.

The review I was working on, and finished for that matter, is a silent film called Too Many Kisses (1925). The film had been considered lost, but a 16mm print was found and the film has been restored. I had tried to record the film when it was on TCM sometime back, but something happened to the recording, let's say I accidentally deleted it. I ended up buying the Blu-ray from the Film Preservation Society. I'm not sure when it will appear on Trophy Unlocked, but I do know that the first review this year on the blog was Paul's review of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. He had read the book recently and we were able to watch the film during our unofficial Movie Day (Dec 26).

I am happy to report that I did actually work on Skylar this week. I'm still in rewrite mode, but it feels good to make some progress on the book.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep wriring and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment