Sunday, June 4, 2023

A Week in Writing #459 - A Pretty Busy Week

Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course writing.

A lot happened this week, so, let's get to it.

I guess the big news is that we hired a new colorist for Powers Squared. Our current artist, Julia Canon, was handling both the art and the coloring, which proved to be too much. She suggested three people that she had worked with before who were possibly intersted in the position. I sent them a test, a page from a future issue and gave them ten days to complete it. Two did and on Friday's OAPS, we sat down with Julia, Rachel and Trevor to decide which of the two to go with or if we would still need to keep looking.

Well, the group voted and we chose Jennifer Moreno as the fifth colorist on the book. Actually, she's the sixth but that's a tale for another time. We're going to introduce her on our June 16th OAPS, but you're among the first to know.

I also wrote the Powers Squared newsletter, The Hound Dogs' Howl, this week and sent that out this morning. Since it's a wrap up the month of May and the hiring took place in June, the new hire isn't mentioned but will be featured next month. I've given up asking you to sign up for it, as that doesn't seem to work.

We are having a new release on June 14th, Mocha and Raven, Part 2, our 17th issue. You can find where to buy it at The Campus Store, if you're so inclined.

For Trophy Unlocked, I wrote a 2000+ word review today for Anna Karenina (1935). Don't know when it will be published. Busy week on that blog with Paul's review today of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, a movie we watched at 9 am on Saturday.

The Saturday morning review, was mine for Five Star Final. And if that wasn't enough, there was a Wednesday is Game Day review of SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake written by Trevor.

What would a busy week be without news on the query front, and, well, bad news at that. I didn't have to wait long this time. The query I sent on May 25 was answered on May 30th. Not suprisingly, the answer was "no".

Thank you for your query letter.

I'm sorry not to offer to read more of your work or offer to represent you, but it doesn't sound like a good fit for my list.

Publishing is very subjective, and this is just one opinion. I encourage you to get other opinions.

And let's not forget about Skylar, I actually did about 1000 words on that as well this week. Can't not work on it.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment