Sunday, January 1, 2023

A Week in Writing #437 - New Year's Day 2023


Hope everyone is staying safe, had a happy new year, and is, of course, writing.

I finally had a chance a couple of days ago to sit down and actually write on fka Skylar. I was going back through some of the work I had already done and made changes. Always trying to make it better. I need to move it forward but sometimes after I've been away from a project, I need a running start to get back into it.

Even on my own, I'm finding that I'm only good for about three hours of work and then I get sort of physically tired.

I'm also thinking of changing the name to aka Skylar, since that seems to fit in better with the story. The book has two storylines. The main character is a private detective, J.D. Barrister. He's just reopened his office after Covid using his old apartment. He finds that he has a new neighbor, Skylar, who is a stripper by trade. She needs help with an overbearing ex-lover, a Russian drug dealer, who is free using her to pay back an over-inflated debt. Meanwhile, Leanne's, J.D.'s girlfriend's, father Ken comes to town and hires J.D. to help find surviving signatories to a tontine her grandfather had been a part of. If this were a sitcom I'd say hilarity ensues, but it's not like that.

No new queries and no word on any outstanding either. I put it down to the holidays and I'm not expecting to launch any new queries until a couple of weeks into the new year.

Busy week on Trophy Unlocked, with the holidays and the end of the year. Saturday being New Year's Eve, all three of us who write reviews did our highlights of the year posts. Since we all saw pretty much the same movies, the choices are similar but different. You can read Paul's, Trevor's and mine; theirs include video games as well.

And as if that we're enough, we posted my review of Repeat Performance at 11:59 pm on December 31st since the movie's story has New Year's Eve as bookends. I finished my review of Beat the Devil and am currently working on one for Sin Takes a Holiday. No TBA for when either will appear.

The new year was on our minds on our podcast, On the Air with Powers Squared. Paul and I talked about the coming year: new issues, a new logo and a new artist for Powers Squared. There really wasn't much doubt, but the artist will be our current colorist, Julia Canon. She's been with us for a couple of years and will bring a different look to the book.

We're planning to release three to four books next year, a three-issue story arc, Mocha and Raven, and perhaps the one-shot Paul wrote, Kamiatachi. More to come on that front.

A new logo and the changes in the creative team gave me a reason to explore the current bios for our former and current members and the joy of figuring out how to update logos on all of the social media platforms we're on. Not as easy or as much fun as you might think. Still, I think I got to all but one banner today, which was the goal.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

Paul and I are closer but not copasetic on the premise for the pilot script. We'll get there, hopefully, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment