Sunday, September 11, 2022

A Week in Writing #421 - Is Football Season a Good Thing?

Hope everyone is staying safe, and, of course, writing.

I'm writing this prior to watching a game of football. My team, the Dallas Cowboys, plays tonight and I'm thinking about the topic question prior to a win, lose or draw with the Bucs. I've been a fan of the Cowboys almost all of my life, having grown up in Dallas. Unlike many men my age, I only follow one team in one sport, so I lay everything on the line for one game.

Now, I have tried to write or whatnot while watching a football game and it is next to impossible to do both and pay either the attention they're due. This is especially true if the game is close and gets exciting. I don't begrudge the game for that but still, it makes doing anything, save eating and drinking, mostly moot.

And if the team loses, the time spent seems like a real waste for some reason. I mean three-plus hours and I'm left with a losing effort and I'm sort of miserable over the other things I could have used that time doing. If the team wins, I'm spending time looking for highlights and interviews, which in and of itself is also a time suck. I'm sure this would be true of whatever team I followed. Having grown up in Dallas, the Cowboys have been my team.

So, either way, watching football is a bit of a time suck. If you're one of those men who watch multiple teams in multiple sports, I don't know how you do it, especially if you're trying to do something creative on the side like I am, and I don't want to find out. There's more to life than sports.

This week, I've been sort of divided between projects and not really getting anywhere with any of them. I really think it's the past week and not the projects. Have you ever had one of those weeks when nothing seems to work as well as it should?

I'm supposed to be working on a review of Elvis but I haven't started it yet. We finally watched the film on HBO Max on Saturday night. By the time it was over, it was pretty late and I was pretty tired. I actually fell asleep on the couch, which is something I haven't really done in years. I'm not sure if the flu shots we got on Saturday morning had anything to do with that or not.

On the subject of reviews, my review of Batman: Under the Red Hood was the Saturday Morning Review on Trophy Unlocked. All part of the site's Batman Month celebration. On Wednesday, GameDay, it was Paul's review of Hitman 3: Ambrose Island (DLC).

Friday's On the Air with Powers Squared was about Disappearing Content on streaming services like HBO Max, and how that might impact us somewhere down the line. You can listen now here or watch it later here when it goes up on Wednesday.

I started working this weekend on a synopsis for Broken People, the book I've been querying agents about. Trying to keep it to two to three pages, which will be somewhat hard. But I've only just started that project. One of those things I might have worked on more had there not been a football game. I did send a new query this week. I haven't heard back from any in quite a while. I'm thinking that I might do a synopsis for another book and try to query another book; I have several I should be trying to get representation for.

Speaking of books, I'm moving forward, slowly, on fka Skylar. I'm finally past where I had been editing and am in the process of transferring from one storyline to another.

And let's not forget Powers Squared. Our artist is getting close to finishing the artwork on Issue 22. Paul and Trevor have each written stories for the next story arc. And I'm still working on the Pitch Deck redux. Again, slower progress than I'd like.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment