Sunday, June 27, 2021

A Week in Writing #357 - Am I Ever Going to Make It?

Hope everyone is staying safe and writing.

I know the headline may seem alarmist but I had trouble sleeping last night. While that's not necessarily new what I was thinking about was the question above. It occurred to me that maybe this is never going to happen for me. Maybe I'm never going to make it as a writer or sell anything or whatever success looks like in an industry where apparently few actually do it as a living. I'm sure I'm not alone in these thoughts. Almost anyone trying to break into a creative field no doubt has had this thought before. I know I have but since it happened this week I thought I'd at least mention it. I'm not going to give up, but I do have those feelings.

So, this is another week when I ran out of time to query, which is one key for making the above happen. Part of what I decided last night was to double down on this and I will be spending some amount of time next week to get this going again. But time is always the most valuable commodity and how that gets spent is where the tension lies.

Like most of you, I only have so many hours in a day or week to work on my writing. This week, I spent a couple of nights hopefully giving something back to one of my sons, Paul. He's working on a sitcom pilot and I read it twice over two nights, made notes, and talked to him about it. Nothing I don't think any parent wouldn't do. While I know my comments aren't the last ones he'll get nor the best, I do hope that I was able to help.

I did do some more work this week on my Skylar manuscript. For those of you counting, and no one is, I'm on version 10. I'm rebuilding the chapters if that makes sense. I'm up to 13,000+ words so far and I think this time it's working better. This isn't all that unusual for me but I'll admit this manuscript has been harder than most to get a feel for. Hopefully, this one will take.

I know that every week I make a point of talking about Powers Squared. Things seem to be at an out point at the moment. While I'm hopeful things will work out, it's been about a month since we've had new colored pages. It's the same issue I have with my writing, our colorist has a job and it's getting to our work that she's having trouble with. I'm trying to be understanding, but it is still frustrating.

We're still working on a possible cover for our BD, even though nothing has been confirmed on that front. I'm sure our artist is up to the challenge but we're looking for something that reflects the spirit of the story without redoing an existing cover from one of the five issues being combined.

I did some more work on the Pitch Packet, combining and organizing the character descriptions I'd written and parts from a previous try at it. I'm waiting until Paul is done with his pilot script before getting into that with him; the pilot is more pressing at the moment.

This week, we watched An American Tragedy and I wrote a review of it for the future. This week, Trophy Unlocked featured a couple of game reviews, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart written by Trevor on Monday; and on Wednesday Trevor's review of TY the Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue HD. I know that it seems like my reviews don't get published but next week, there will be five of my Pre-Code reviews up on the blog. We were talking about the backlog I had and I had the idea to maybe do a block of these films leading up to the anniversary of the start of the Production Code. Turns out, all films released after July 1, 1934, had to abide by the code so we decided to pull the trigger. I'll invite you to read the blog and I'll report on it, as I do, next week on what went up and when.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment