Sunday, August 9, 2020

A Week in Writing #311


Let me start off this blog with a couple of updates. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I had reached out to someone I had seen on a Comic-Con@home video who claimed to be a marketer for comic books. Well, two weeks and counting and no response. Not sure if that speaks to their lack of interest or their lack of business acumen. I will do what they don't want you to do when looking for an agent and nudge. If after that there's no response, I will count this as a minor misadventure.

Speaking of looking for agents, I did do some more research, but no queries. Researching possible agents is very time-consuming and a little soul-crushing. You read everything they're looking for and you start to doubt yourself. I'm not talking so much about the work but the little things agents seem to be looking for, things I'm sure they think will make the work stand out to a publisher, which is, of course, their goal as well as mine. However, it sometimes feels like I'm trying to fit my square peg in their round hole. I'm guessing that theirs is a moving target as well, as in what they're looking for now is not what they'll be looking for next week or next month. You can't write for the agent, you have to write for yourself and hope they'll somehow match.

I did do some more work on my latest idea. I think I have the setup, but I'm trying to figure out what case I would use. I originally thought about blackmail but I've used that before. Now I'm leaning to using a tontine as the plot device. I've had the idea for a while and it just occurred to me this week to try it.

In other writing, I did complete two reviews this week, one for Kindergarten Cop (1990) and one for Dance, Girl, Dance (1940). The former was spurred by the fact a showing of the film in Oregon was canceled because it was deemed controversial and compared to Birth of a Nation and Gone with the Wind. It should appear next Saturday on Trophy Unlocked. Dance, Girl, Dance was a result of our weekly drain the DVR. Not sure when that will be published.

What was published was a week-long survey of the Final Fantasy VII franchise, including games and a feature based on the game, written by Paul. On Saturday, it was the 20th anniversary of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins written by Trevor. The two of them have been very busy during the pandemic with writing reviews.

For Powers Squared it was the usual week of a Podcast on Friday, a YouTube video on Sunday, and a newsletter to our subscribers. This week's podcast, On the Air with Powers Squared, featured a guest for the first time, our artist Rachel Wells. Our colorist, Julia Canon, had us set up a Discord account for the comic book and it allows us to do videos, which, using OBS, we were able to broadcast on Twitch and then, using Audacity, pulled the audio from the video.

Keeping with the creative team, this week's YouTube video was a Google Hangout with both Rachel and Julia, the first time we had ever spoken to both of them at the same time. We also posted an unboxing video, featuring an anthology Artithmeric is trying to get distributed, which would serialize 10 of their books, including Powers Squared.

We also did what I hope is the final run-through of the Pilot script for our proposed animated series. I've got a few notes but I think we're pretty much there. Next, we can hopefully finish up the Pitch Packet for it.

There always feels like there is something else to do with the book. We're always trying to figure out how to grow our audience. If you have any ideas, please feel free to share in the comments. I mean that.

Well, that about does it for this week. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment