Sunday, April 21, 2019

A Week in Writing #243


Writing time this week, like I predicted, was spent working on a five-day Kickstarter Challenge run by ComixLaunch. The assignments weren't really all that hard, just time-consuming. It required me to listen to a one-hour live Facebook lesson every day at work from 11 to 12 and then at night write up what I needed to provide.

A good exercise, not only did it get me to write a new bio, but also write up a story about my creative origins (as they relate to Powers Squared), think about where I want to get to in five years, think about the next milestone and then map out what I know and, more importantly, don't know about a Kickstarter project. I also had to play tag team with another creator, Josue F. Kure, who has his own comic book which he is producing called Bloody Reaper Comics. Kind of cool to connect with him and others in the challenge. Good to get out of my comfort zone.

For Powers Squared, we made some progress towards the signing we have scheduled for May 4th (Free Comic Book Day) at Galaxy of Comics (ours won't be free). We received the banner we ordered last week on Friday and put up an unboxing video on our YouTube channel. It's pretty cool. If you want to see the banner, it's the Peek-of-the-Week on our website. While you're there, answer the poll question and sign up for our mailing list. The second newsletter has gone out, you don't want to keep missing out, do you?

Trevor delivered the next four pages of Powers Squared, so he's caught up with what our colorist has delivered. By the end of the month, we should have more pages from both Rachel and Nina and the show goes on.

Paul, Trevor and I shot our weekly vlog this afternoon. Since there weren't a lot of pages to discuss, we spent a good deal of time in a discussion of the 21 MCU films so far. It was an idea that we had after a spontaneous discussion earlier in the week about the same topic. Paul captured the essence of the discussion in a post on Trophy Unlocked, Ranking the Marvel Cinematic Universe (So Far).

Speaking of Trophy Unlocked, I published my review of Life of Pi as the Saturday Morning Review. Mine was the last review of the three films we watched on our recent plane trip to Dallas at the beginning of the week. I also started, barely, a new review for Batman (1989), which will be a part of Batman Month on Trophy Unlocked, starting on May 4th.

Managed to do a little writing on The Runaway and sent out two more query letters for Broken People. Had that "Oh s---!" moment when I realized I had a misspelled word, one of those where it should be "that" rather than "than". Damn. Of course, no word back from any agent I've queried since my rejection letter. So now there are four out there, though I suspect the first two are "lazy passes", meaning the agent will not write back to tell you they're passing, you're just supposed to realize it on your own. One of them was the agent from the Writers Digest Novel Writing Conference that I really wanted, but I guess the feeling wasn't mutual.

Next week, I'll be sending out press releases for our May signing; wish me luck. Hopefully, time for other writing as well. In the meantime, keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment