Sunday, February 5, 2017

A Week in Writing #128

This week I spent about as much time commuting as I did actually writing, but still, progress was made on at least one front, the comic book, but even that seemed as slow as the rush hour traffic. It wasn't until Wednesday, and only after my nudging, that we got any pages from our artist. I'm trying to be patient, but I don't want to fall behind on this. My schedule is four pages in two weeks from him and I'm trying to stay on top of him to meet that. So far this week, we have layouts for three pages, but they need minor tweaks.

I think I've written this before, but seeing the script drawn out is a very interesting experience and it makes you rethink things as you go sometimes. I know I can be a bit wordy, so I saw a chance to combine some dialogue if the artist tweaked a panel to show more characters.

Sometimes we go round and round over an image that I want him to draw. I try to describe what I'm looking for and when that doesn't work, I'll try to find an image on the internet to send. Have you tried to Google "Man looking over his left shoulder"? A lot of images come back, few of which is a man looking over his left shoulder. Got a few women not looking over their shoulders and even a picture of a man doing pulls ups and missing his left arm. But I managed to find one that I used and sent to him, "like this, but with a different expression" or something to that effect. Usually, he'll come around even if it is sometimes the third or fourth try.

Having a similar back and forth with our colorist over how to handle flashback sequences. I'm trying very hard not to fall back on what the previous colorist did. I still have that work, I paid for it, but I want what we do now to be different. I sort of liked how we had handled flashbacks in the past and had thought we had used sepia tones, but we hadn't as it turns out. She gave it a real try, but it's not working for me. Not her fault, it just isn't right. We decided to put a pin in it and come back to it at a later date. Otherwise, she's really making good progress and is easy to work with.

There's a lot of compromise with anything collaborative, even though I'm footing the bill. I'm not an expert at any of this. Speaking of that, I'm supposed to have a lunch this coming week with someone who has created their own comic book and is now producing it into a TV show. I sent him the current version of the comic book, but don't know what he thinks of it. He did touch base during the week, but nothing was scheduled yet.

Did complete and publish my review of Toy Story, which was my Saturday Morning Review on Trophy Unlocked. I thought I would kick off a week of animated film reviews while I work on a review of Charlie Chaplin's The Adventurer. Watched that and a few other of Chaplin's Mutual shorts out of respect for David Shepard, who died this past week. A true film lover and archivist, I was lucky enough to have taken his course at USC, back when I was working on my Ph.D.; not that I got that degree, but that's a story for a different post.

Had a big idea for Trophy Unlocked. Thought I'd create an Academy Award Review Hub of all the films we've reviewed that have been at least nominated for an Oscar. Who knew so many films we'd reviewed had nominations? It's quite a list as it turns out and I'm still doing research. Not sure if I'll get it posted before the Awards or not. Me and stretch goals.

Worked on my editing for Familiar Stranger, but I'm thinking I'm going to really need to just rewrite the thing. My subplot is sort of lame and I think I could punch it up easier by sitting at the computer than with pencil on paper. The story has a lot of problems, but I'm finding most of the unfinished work I have is in the same boat. I got to a certain point and never carried them to completion. I'm hoping to start on that this coming week.

Did my first assignment for my Writer's Digest online class. I waited until this morning to sit down and do it, but it never seemed like the right time before today. Either I was too rushed in the morning or too tired at night; maybe unmotivated is the right word; maybe lethargic. When you fall asleep after dinner it's all I can do to get up and do some writing. The assignment seemed like a hill too high to climb. One down four to go. Yikers!

No comments:

Post a Comment