Sunday, March 6, 2016

A Week in Writing #80

Sometimes I think I get a lot accomplished, but then again, it doesn't seem like I'm moving the chains to use a football slang.

I think I'm done with editing Public and Private and have started to work on both a long and short synopsis, with the hopes of actually querying the book for representation. Found I had already started, though not finished, a long synopsis some months back. Not too much has changed in the rewrites, but I still need to finish that. Having some trouble with summarizing the book in a paragraph, but I've only begun that process.

Surprisingly, I'm a little apprehensive about the whole query process, having been 0 for 2 so far with books attempting to find representation. So much is put on the line with each email and I like nothing less than the uncertainty each query brings. I hate being discounted out of hand, but it's the ones who never write back that really get to me. I know it's the reality of the situation, but it still sucks.

I also finished some rewrites for future scripts for the comic book, PowerSquared, that I was working on last week. Haven't sent out for feedback yet.

One of the things I'm finding is that the scripts were written with an eye towards a more give and take with the artist. I had anticipated we would have hired someone local and would be seeing and speaking on a regular basis. Instead, our artist is in Indonesia and some weaknesses in the script show in his interpretation. Paul and I have been going back and forth over pages 5 through 8 this weekend and sent comments to our artist. I think it's really important to be as detailed oriented as possible without coming across as a jerk.

Still, I feel that things are moving forward, We're much further along than we have been and I'm still looking forward to seeing it completed. Don't have enough done, though, to test the waters. There is more that needs to be done before it's ready for that.

Finish my review of Ferris Bueller's Day Off early in the week, Thinking about waiting for Spring Break to publish that one. Did publish a couple of reviews this weekend on Trophy Unlocked: The Lion in Winter (1968) and one for the new movie Zootopia, which we, as a family, went to see on Saturday night. Both are keeping with what has been a running string of animal-themed reviews on the blog.

The week ahead promises more of the same. Work on the synopsis for Public and Private and hopefully a phone call with my editor. I'm also hoping there are more pages for PowerSquared. Got to keep at it to make headway.

No comments:

Post a Comment