Sunday, February 6, 2022

A Week in Writing #390 - Not Wanting to Crush the Dream


Hope everyone is well, boosted, and, of course, writing.

We got political for I think the first time on our podcast this past week. I'm sure by now you've heard that Art Spiegelman's Maus graphic novel was removed from some classrooms in Tennessee. The excuse was pretty picky, nudity (a female mouse), and curse words (they said "damn" several times) but on the heels of the Krause list in Texas, that wants 850 books removed from library shelves, we had to say something. Rachel Wells, our artist, who had also read Maus, joined our podcast, along with Trevor, to discuss. Next week, we'll get back to the comic book, but sometimes you have to speak up. You're invited to listen to it and would welcome your thoughts.

While we're on the subject of Powers Squared, we did receive work on the final pages of Issue #20, while we're still waiting to release Issue #13. Part of our hold-up is the coming Kickstarter, which is now scheduled for March 24th. We don't want to put out too much too close together. So, we're going to wait for that to complete and then start putting out new books. More details as they become available. I would appreciate it if you at least give it a hard look.

We're supposed to have a meeting this week about our Pitch Deck. We haven't pitched it yet but we're hoping to get some feedback on it from someone in the industry familiar with these kinds of shows. I will admit I'm a little nervous about it. I really don't want to crush the dream just yet. Maybe I'm fearing the worst but I'm pretty sure there are ways we can make it better.

I'm still feeling my way through the Pilot script. I think I know what to do but there are some things to do with formatting that I can't seem to get right. It's a learning experience for me.

No new reviews for me this week, blame the Olympics. We spent Saturday night fast-forwarding through the opening ceremonies, so there wasn't time for a movie afterward. I get the feeling it might be a couple of weeks before we get back to that. The Saturday Morning Review on Trophy Unlocked was Trevor's review of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, a film we had fairly recently re-watched. The Wednesday Game Day review was Paul's of Shantae and the Seven Sirens for the PS4.

I spent a good deal of time on Thursday night on queries. After I sent out my fourth query this year, the third with the new format I wrote about a couple of posts back, I researched another 30 agents from my list and the results were not all that encouraging. Of the 30, only 4 seemed to handle Crime Fiction and were accepting queries. Four were closed to Queries at this time and one was closed permanently. A good chunk didn't show they handle crime fiction on their websites, even though they had shown up in a prior search. I still have about 172 more agents to research. As I find out more, I'll share it here.

That brings me to fka Skylar on which progress is slow. I spent my time on the book this week sort of circling the drain. By that, I went through the last bit of work and rethought some of it. The actual word count didn't really change all that much; 25,878 is the current count for what it's worth.

Well, on that lackluster stat, I'll bring this week's post to a close. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment