Sunday, August 8, 2021

A Week in Writing #364 - Yes, I Sent a Query


I hope everyone is staying safe, getting vaccinated, and writing.

Yes, the headline is correct, I did send a query this week. I don't know about you but I find the queries that you do on a form rather daunting and a tinge more impersonal than those that want an email. To be honest, I'm not good at the marketing the forms want you to provide. While the forms seem to have standardized the process, at least for the querier, the agent's response to them is not. I don't know if an agent ever really sees the forms, the same way I'm never sure the agent reads the email, but it seems to me that it's faster to send an email, though I get the same anxiety either way.

Going through what's already out there, I closed out another query DNR, so I've got two. One that is coming up on the 12 weeks the agency's site said they need and the one I just submitted on Thursday night.

I did some more writing on Skylar, even though I think I just got through one more chapter this week. Still, it is some progress and I do like working on it. I got a late start last night and didn't get as far as I had wanted to get, but I could barely keep my eyes open.

On the subject of writing, we published our podcast with Carla Hoch, the author of the book Fight Write; it was our 100th episode of On the Air with Powers Squared. I think it was a good interview and I encourage you to watch and/or listen to it. Links at https://powerssquaredcomicbook.com/oaps and it will be going up on our YouTube channel on Wednesday. If you write fight scenes, you'll want to catch it. I've just finished reading Fight Write and would highly recommend it, even if Carla had not been on our show.

Now that we've crossed into the Powers Squared section of this post, let me give you an update. We just submitted Issue #12 to comiXology so we're off to the races. Issue 12 is What's in a Name? Part 3 and concludes the story arc. The logline: Marty and Eli have each other's back but continue to be drawn apart by the events and people in their lives. Could this be the end of Powers Squared?

Our on-demand publishers already have the book and the other submissions are pretty easy to do (GlobalComix and Kindle). When a date is set, I will, of course, let you know. What you do with the information is up to you. That is a veiled plea to buy it.

We've shifted some of our attention to the coming Kickstarter with Artithmeric.com. They want to get our book, as well as others, into bookstores in Europe. We've remastered some of the dialogue and our artist is coming up with a new cover and back cover to use on the BD (bande dessinée) that they'll be kickstarting. The cover, at least the drawing has been completed and they've approved, so now we're working on the back cover. My goal is to get our end done by the end of the month with the Kickstarter to go live in October. If you've never read the comic book this would be a good jumping on point, as it will be the first five pre-Rachel Wells issues.

No new review this week, as we changed up our norms. We watched The Suicide Squad on Friday, reviewed today on Trophy Unlocked. Instead of watching an old movie, we instead watched four episodes of Harley Quinn, the DC animated series with Kaley Cuoco voicing the main character.

That said, my review of The Racket (1928) went up on Saturday. This is the film I wanted to watch after reading Bathing Beauty: A Novel of Marie Prevost by Laini Giles. The film was nominated for the first Academy Awards but lost Best Picture to Wings.

On Wednesday was Trevor's review of the video game Phineas and Ferb: Day of Doofenshmirtz, so now you're caught up.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment