Sunday, April 25, 2021

A Week in Writing #348 - Query Form Questions


Hope this finds everyone writing and staying safe.

I want to start off by giving myself credit for sending out a new query this week. I know it doesn't sound like much but it is my least favorite part of the writing process. So that's five out and so far no rejections but that doesn't mean anything anymore. Rejections are now less an email but the time running out, so maybe I've been rejected already and just don't know it.

The big trend now is to do your queries online using a form. I've found that with some minor changes the form doesn't change much between agencies. In the boxes on the form, they want to know the basic information, such as contact info, the name of your book, the genre, the word count, a short synopsis, a bio, and maybe some pages. These are the basics of a query letter. What gets me, is that one of the buckets they want you to fill in is the "query letter." I'm not sure what to put in this part. Do I put in the letter I would have sent through email, which would include the name of the book, the genre, a word count, a short synopsis, a bio, and my contact information? That sort of seems like overkill. I want to say it's like a musical artist repeating a song in the encore of the show. I did put in a really condensed version of what would have been my query letter but it seemed sort of gutless if you know what I mean. Well, we'll find out, maybe, if it was the right thing or not. There is no way to know that for sure unless an agent points it out specifically.

Well, that wasn't the only thing I worked on this week, so I think it's enough about that.

Last week, I wrote wondering how we were going to follow our interview of John Barber on OAPS. Well, we decided to get back to our roots and did a deep dive on one page of the upcoming issue, #11, What's in a Name? Part 2. While it may seem like we ad-lib the show, it was all scripted out and the images had to be picked out individually ahead of time. That's sort of what I worked on Wednesday night. It was about 1000+ words so that was my writing goal for the day. Paul reviewed and edited the script on Thursday. You can watch how we did for the next two weeks on twitch.tv/powerssquared or you can listen to it at https://powerssquaredcomicbook.com/oaps

I purposefully avoided writing a review this week. I honestly didn't feel I had the energy on Saturday night to do one. Also, I thought it was a good idea to break things up. So, instead of drain the DVR Saturday, we watched MST3K's take on Invasion USA and a good time was had by all. Except for the Mystery Science Theater 3000's movie, I wouldn't know how to review one of their send-ups.

But there were other reviews on Trophy Unlocked. On Wednesday, it was a review of the video game Fuse by Trevor and on Saturday, it was the film Tomb Raider written by Paul. Sunday, we had a special review of Mortal Kombat (2021), which came out on Friday. That review was written by Paul.

Somewhere in the mix, I did manage to do some work on Skylar but as always, it never seems to be enough. I don't mean to ever downplay that work but it always seems like the one thing I fit into the mix rather than the main focus of the week.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment