Sunday, April 11, 2021

A Week in Writing #346 - Rejection Comes at All Hours


Hope everyone is staying safe and writing.

Has this happened to you? I was sort of feeling really tired on Monday night. After realizing that I wasn't going to be able to do any deep thinking on the review for The Guardsman (1931) that I was writing I happened to take a look at social media and finally my email. There, I found a rejection for Broken People from the agent I queried about three weeks before. Not a great way to finish the evening. It came in at 9:24 pm my time which means the agent either stayed up late to ruin my night or scheduled the email; I'm thinking the latter.

It should come as no surprise that the email seems like a form with BROKEN PEOPLE inserted in all CAPS, as it was about the hook rather than the writing. I will work on the hook before I send the next query. While this was a disappointment it is also why I didn't want to wallpaper all the agents with my query at one time. Better to try to learn from one mistake before moving forward.

If you're concerned, I did finish that review of The Guardsman, as well as one for Mank and another for The Last Flight (1931). The first and last of these have not been scheduled but Mank was released earlier today. While we're on the subject of Trophy Unlocked, this was Resistance Week on the blog with Trevor's review of Resistance: Fall of Man on Monday, Resistance 2 on Wednesday, and Resistance 3 on Friday. For a change of pace, my review of Rationing (1944) was the Saturday Morning Review.

On this week's On the Air with Powers Squared podcast, we had the entire creative team on the show. It was great to catch up with everyone and to let them know what we had been working on. One of them was, after talking to Eric Tapper at GlobalComix, we made the first three issues of Powers Squared free on their service. If you've been hesitating about reading it, you can't beat free. Check it out at https://globalcomix.com/a/powers-squared/comics.

Our guest next week is scheduled to be John Barber, the Editor-in-Chief at IDW. It's a long story that we'll get to on the show but you're invited to watch at twitch.tv/powerssquared at 6 pm PDT next Friday.

In other Powers Squared news, we submitted Issue #11 to ComiXology, so the release is coming soon. We also did an unboxing video on Twitch this morning. You can watch us unbox proofs of Issue #11 and #12 at twitch.tv/powerssquared. Upon reviewing of the proofs we did have some comments for one of the suppliers, so I had to write to them as well.

With Skylar, I made some more changes, which I hope will move the plot along a little faster. I was inspired to rewrite the first meeting between the title character and protagonist J.D. Barrister, a P.I. I'm setting it in a post-COVID world which means I may have to adjust the timeline as things unfold. Right now I picture it being Fall but I hope it's sooner than that.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing and I'll see you back here next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment