Sunday, April 28, 2019

A Week in Writing #244


For the first time, in quite a while it seems, this was a more balanced week. Still heavily weighed towards Powers Squared, there was still some time left for other "literary" pursuits. But let's dispense with the big dog on the block first.

To begin with, there is the signing coming up next week. If you're in the San Fernando Valley on May 4th, the co-creators and I are having our first ever signing at the Galaxy of Comics store at the corner of Louise and Saticoy. If you're on the mailing list, or follow us on Instagram or visit the website, you may have seen our banner. If not, here's a peek:


Everything seems to be either in place or in delivery mode. Our final order is still coming in but should be here early next week. Otherwise, we should be ready to go.

We're trying to look at this as a sort of con-lite. While I would like to sell out all the issues we'll have, I'm not sure how realistic that will be. Everyone tells you to have low expectations. The goal is to get names and emails for our mailing list.

To that end, I started the coursework at ListLaunch, part of the service that we started at the beginning of the month. I sat through my first two sessions on Wednesday night and there is still many more to come. We need to have a more robust mailing list before we attempt a Kickstarter, which we need to do.

If you're interested in joining the mailing list and won't be at the May 4th signing, you can get on the action here: https://mailchi.mp/dc302d04a252/powerssquared. We'll include you on our weekly newsletter featuring all things Powers Squared.

Speaking of which, it's been a busy week as far as the comic book goes. Rachel has sent us four new pages, penciled. Paul and I asked her to make a few changes, which she did. Part of the process is to discuss the look of the panels she sends us versus what we had in mind when we wrote the script. Sometimes, I will admit, that we're looking for changes when we see her artwork. When we can, we try to send her a photographic reference to use. Usually finding an image we're looking for is only a Google search away. This week, I came to find that that is not always the case. There are some images that are out there, or else, I don't know how to describe it properly.

If you're like me, and you lived in a time before mandatory seat belts, you most assuredly had this happen to you: the car is in traffic, your mother is driving and you're sitting in the front seat, which is where you sat back in the day. All of a sudden, your mother applies the brakes hard. There is nothing that stops you from hitting the dashboard, except your mother reaches over and with only her hand, holds you back. I mean, who needed seatbelts? Well, I was looking for that image to send to her but could not find one on the internet.

The best we could do was that Paul and Trevor, who had no reference to that either, remembered a similar gesture in the manga and anime for My Hero Academia. Paul managed to take a photo off his computer from the TV show and after reversing the image, we came up with this:


All Might is doing the gesture we tried to describe to her.

Our colorist is preparing more pages, which we should have before the month is over.

In addition to work on Powers Squared, I managed to complete a review of Batman (1989) which will appear next month. Trevor had the idea of making May Batman Month on Trophy Unlocked. We have all the reviews written so look forward to that next month on Trophy Unlocked.

This past Saturday, we published a review Trevor wrote of Whiplash, a videogame for the PS2, so we're going back aways in time with that one.

I also managed to write a little more on The Runaway, but not enough to write home about, though I will mention it here. I also sent off a couple of query letters for Broken People. My goal is to send off a couple every week. Got to keep that dream alive as well.

I'm sorry I don't have more to report, but that's all for this week. Until next week, keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment