Sunday, January 7, 2018

A Week in Writing #176

Sometimes when I sit down to write this post, I dread it. There is nothing like having to think back on the past week and realizing all that I didn't do or how I spent my time other than writing. I can offer a lot of excuses but those always sound hollow. When I don't write there is always a reason, whether its because there is something else I have to do or I'm simply too tired. Like most of you, I do find myself sitting at my laptop in a semi-asleep state trying to write at the end of the day, but not able to really kick into gear.

But this past week I don't feel like I really got into the swing of things. The start of the New Year is a restarting of sorts of the routine that takes up most of my day. That statement is not an excuse, but more of an explanation of this past week. For all intents and purposes this was a short week, not really starting in earnest for me until Wednesday when I started back to work. So how did I spend my time?

To begin with, my biggest regret is that I didn't work as much on Familiar Stranger as I would have liked. I did make a few edits, but I didn't really move the needle all that far. I'm up to about 62,200 words and 333 pages. I see, looking back, that I hadn't worked on it since Thursday which was probably the only day I did. I really want to make this my priority next week.

Most of my writing time was spent on reviews for Trophy Unlocked. I worked on two this week, both of which aren't quite done. I'm about 2300 words into one on Pacific Rim, a film we watched this past Friday, movie night, and about 5300 words on a review of The Cocoanuts, a Marx Brothers film we watched over the holidays. The review for Pacific Rim is still not done and one for The Cocoanuts is perhaps too long. Will have to spend sometime to fix them both.

I did publish the first Saturday Morning review of the year, Beggars of Life (1928), a silent film starring Wallace Beery, Richard Arlen, Louise Brooks and directed by William A. Wellman.

Powers Squared took its first steps towards Issues #6 and 7. Our new artist is officially on the job. Can't wait to see what she does. Will be following up next week on Issues #3,4 and 5 with our editor at comixology. Hoping to get some feedback and plan the release.

So not too bad, though I know I could have done more. Hopefully next week will tell a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment