Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Week in Writing #132

This was one of those weeks when things seemed to get done. Not that anything has been finished, mind you, but there was definite progress towards goals.

As always, let's begin with the comic book. Our colorist has moved on to issue #2. There are still some lingering details to be decided, like the color of flashbacks, but for the most part, the coloring is complete. She's been really easy to work with and we appreciate her skills. The lettering is coming along, up to page 12, but we'll get there, I'm sure. I want to have it completed by WonderCon. The artist has moved on to issue #3. We've seen pencils and layouts for pages 9 through 12, still waiting on the inks.

The rewrites on Familiar Stranger have picked up a bit. I'm up to 6300 words and page 34. I've been able to blop in pages from another version and rewrite them to fit the current story. My goal was to get into the action sooner and I think I've done that, though it will take someone else reading it to be sure it works.

As far as Trophy Unlocked goes, I published my Saturday morning review, this time kicking off a month of Westerns with The Magnificent Seven (1960). Got a few likes on Facebook which is always nice and the 23 pageviews aren't bad after only a couple of days. One of the things I learned from my aborted blogging class was that blog readership on the weekends are low and you should not publish on the weekends. Too bad for me, since this is the only time I do.

I'm a couple of reviews behind. One is for Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (2015), an HBO documentary. My whole family really got into watching Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath and were really interested in seeing Going Clear as a result. I'm even reading the book it's based on.

The other is What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962), the movie that the series Feud: Bette and Joan is set around. Not sure I had seen the movie all the way through, so I wanted to see it before watching the series.

Did write a new one for later: The Founder (2016), the story of how Ray Kroc stole McDonald's away from Mac and Dick McDonald, starring Michael Keaton. Since the movie is still in the theaters, though barely, I'm going to wait to publish that review, since I do get into the synopsis of the story; something I try not to do if it's currently out. But I would recommend seeing it if you haven't already and few of you have. One take away from the movie is something Kroc believed in, persistence, and it applies to writing as well. No one gets anywhere without sticking with it, so keep writing.

So next week I'm going to be persistent about getting more from Issues 1, 2 and 3 and getting further into the rewrite of Familiar Stranger. I will of course post a new entry on this blog to let you know how I'm doing with my writing. Hope you're persistent with your writing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment