Sunday, February 26, 2017

A Week in Writing #131

Well, time caught up with me last week. The Monday holiday was sadly not a time for a lot of writing as there were other things that took precedence. That's one thing about writing on the side, there is never enough time.

Case in point, the Blogging 101 course I was taking online. I had other things to do last weekend and apparently lost my chance to complete the course, as it now seems to have all but shut down. I can look at the "lecture" and the assignments, but there is no place to submit the assignment so I guess I'm done. It's very hard to slice up limited time too finely and maybe online writing courses are that one bridge too far.

Writer's Digest seems to think all of their subscribers are either making a living writing or have endless amounts of time during the day. I don't know how many courses I've passed on because they have the on-line lecture at 1 pm on a Thursday afternoon. Not really a good time for me nor would I imagine other writers as well. It's too bad, too, because there are definitely areas I could use help on, like query letters and setting up a writer's website. Oh, time and money why have you forsaken me so?

I did some rewrites on Familiar Stranger, but never enough. I'll try to work more on that this coming week as I think I finally know how to get into the story. Still, have other hurdles to cross, but I'm hoping at some point that I can blop in most of what I've already written, so hopefully the page numbers will increase. Right now I'm still in the first 17 pages and only about 2800 words.

Worked on some ideas for a pre-story for Powers Squared, though at this point it is just an idea. Did some research on magical creatures so, at this point, I still think it's a go.

More progress on the comic book. Our colorist "finished" issue # 1. I'm putting quotes around finished because there are still a few panels we need to work on involving flashbacks. Not quite right yet, but I'm confident we'll get there. We're also talking about the cover and Issue #2.

The artist is making progress on Issue #3. Right now we're laying out pages 9 through 12, which means we're coming to the middle of that issue.

Part of my concern this week has been what to do when we have a finished Issue #2 and what we should be doing before then as well. Sadly, I'm not a marketing genius and don't think I have the time to take an online Writers' Digest course on the subject if one did indeed exist. My hope is not to mess things up before we "launch" this on the world; the when and how TBD.

The pre-story is one idea as well as Twitter and Facebook sites. That means content and I'm not 100% sure how much or what to put out there that will both spark interest but not give away too much. We do want people to pay for it at some point.

Published a Saturday morning review of Hayao Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro based on the 2005 Disney version of the film, thus ending animation month on Trophy Unlocked. Also working on a future review of his next film, Kiki's Delivery Service. Also published a Review Hub for films we've reviewed that have been nominated and/or won an Academy Award updated to reflect tonight's awards. A much bigger project than I anticipated, but glad to be on this side of it.

Award shows always make me a little anxious. Not that I necessarily think I'll win one some day, but it's the fact that most of the people in the room seem to be a part of something I want to be a part of. Old dreams don't die easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment