Sunday, September 11, 2016

A Week in Writing #107

Holidays don't necessarily mean more time to write. This past Monday was Labor Day and with three and half-days off from work, I didn't necessarily have more time to sit and write, even though I did write a 6000+ word review of Intolerance (1916) in an effort to post a review on the 100th anniversary of its release. Since I'm starting with Trophy Unlocked, I'll go ahead and reiterate that Wednesday nights are movie review nights for Saturday; posted one for Love on the Run (1936) starring Clark Gable, Joan Crawford and Franchot Tone.

Also used the holiday as an opportunity to reach out to the artist and the colorist of PowerSquared. I had hoped, as a stretch goal, to be done by then. But instead we only have 5 pages inked and only one page colored after more than a month; this doesn't bode well for us to ever make this sustainable. Received promises to do better, but hopefully we'll see an improvement in turn around. The artist did send three pages and a fourth we're still working through. The colorist did send a new page, but his promise to send more did not materialize.

Haven't heard back from anyone new on PowerSquared. I figured I would give them a couple of weeks before I followed up. I'm sure everyone is very busy and I don't want to come off as being a bother. It is a real tightrope that writers have to walk all the time. You want the feedback, but you want the reader to take the time they need. I'd rather have thoughtful criticism than rushed none comments like "Yep, that was 20 pages long. Colored and everything."

On the subject of writing, it looks like the rejections are coming in early this year. A while back I mentioned I was sending a new query to the agent that I'd met at a Writer's Conference who subsequently passed on that manuscript. This past Wednesday, that same agent passed on Public and Private; didn't feel passionate about my query. For those keeping score, I still have one query and a manuscript out.

Sort of slowed down this week by computer problems. The solid state drive in mine went bad when I was trying to install Photoshop last weekend. It took an entire week to get the computer fixed and then most of an afternoon re-installing drivers, programs, etc, so I could get it to work the way I want. Don't have everything back, but enough to work. Can't write without Word. Why can't computer repairs work like car repairs? When I take in my car, I expect them to buy the parts they need, but with computer repair, at least at Geek Squad, I have to be the one to provide parts. And even then, it's not really fixed until all the programs and drivers get re-installed.

My goal for the week is to finally finish that synopsis for Past and Present and send more queties; follow up with the people who've had PowerSquared for a couple of weeks; make more progress on Part 2 of said comic book and to start writing some reviews for Halloween, which is fast approaching. We've usually had four to five horror films reviewed during October. Not sure how many we'll get written and posted. But remember, these are goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment