Sunday, December 20, 2015

A Week in Writing #69

As I predicted, this week in writing was spent on reviews for the blog. Finished and published the 3600+ word review of The Empire Strikes Back (1980) I started last week. Also started a review of Return of the Jedi (1983) which I'm almost done with at about 2800 words. Hope to publish that next Saturday. Still have to write a review for The Force Awakens, which I've just seen today.  That should come out mid-week. (Spoiler alert: I liked it).

This has been a big week for the blog as it celebrated its fifth anniversary with a re-review of Back to the Future III by our founder and editor, Paul. Besides that milestone, the last two reviews I've posted have been some of the best read since October. Star Wars has sort of plateaued at 100 and Empire has already has 133 page views. When you average about 30 a review, 133 is a banner day. Hopefully, the people that read that review will come back and read other ones as well.

Heard that TCM's CFU, the other blog I post reviews on, is going away next month. Really too bad, as it seemed to be a good site for me. Not sure why, but that's what I've heard. It's too bad if it's really true, but from what I've heard there have been long standing issues between members and TCM. Not sure what they are, but I've had "friends" who have been banned from time to time.

Made some progress on the comic book. We had narrowed our search down to several artists and asked for each to send us a sample page, based on a page in the script. A couple declined, one sent us a very detailed sketch and one sent us a complete page, pencil and ink. Another artist has said they're going to send us something, but it's been a week and nothing. Not very promising for him. We're getting closer to making a decision, but I want to do a little more research on how all this is going to work. A little nervous to say the least.

Also, I followed up on the pitch I made to the still un-named Comic-Con SVOD channel. Apparently, they haven't reviewed any submissions yet and probably won't start until early next year. So it's still a maybe, which beats an outright no by a mile.

Next week I need to finish a couple of reviews and I'm thinking that might be about all I'll be able to do. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a safe and happy holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment