Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Week in Writing #59

Sometimes when I sit down to write these entries I feel like I didn't have a really productive week.

Spent most of my writing time this past week pulling together the rest of blog entries for Horror October on Trophy Unlocked, including finishing my review for The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari and adding photos for the other posts. Posted the second horror review of the month this one for Creature From the Black Lagoon on Saturday.

I try to post at least one review a week, usually on Saturday mornings. This is after it has been edited by Paul, who has been my editor since I started posting on the site. After posting on Trophy Unlocked, I post something on Facebook and Twitter. After that I post the same review on the TCM Classic Film Union site. Sometimes at seven in the morning on Saturday I seriously wonder what I'm doing and why. But I still enjoy writing them and as long as I do, I plan to keep publishing them.

Spent a good part of the time on what I consider the business-side of writing. While I did do some additional research on potential agents for my book, I didn't get around to actually querying anyone. But I did do some work on the business-side of the comic book. I found a group on Facebook that is designed to link writers and artists together, in a similar way to what is supposed to be accomplished at the Comic Creator Connection at Comic-Con. The idea of the group is that writers looking for artists, which is me, would make a post with a link to at least a sample of the work they need an artist for. The idea is that a conversation would start and hopefully a comic book would result.

I hate to admit this, but I'm a little concerned about presenting my story without some sort of copyright protection. After consulting an expert, I don't name names on the blog without permission, I remembered to check the status of the copyright Paul and I filed for back in March 2014. I had never received any sort of communication and it had been 19 months, so I wrote an email to the copyright office and while they told me it would potentially take 10 business days to get a reply, I did get one in a couple of days.

Turns out they couldn't complete the process because they coudn't open the attachment, which while in an acceptable format, doc.x, couldn't be opened for some reason. Why no one had gotten back to us about this issue in 19 months is beyond me. I sent them the same submission in a .pdf format via email, but still not sure the issue has been resolved.

The copyright office claims it takes up to 8 months to register an IP when submitting electronically, I don't want to sit on the process for that long. More to come on this in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment