Sunday, March 1, 2015

A Week in Writing #26

Okay, I've been putting it off for about a month now, but I did finally nudge the agent that has my complete manuscript. I first queried her, most agents are women, back in April, 2014 and she's had the full manuscript since the beginning of September, so it's been nearly six months of waiting. So far it's been a little like Schrödinger's cat, the experiment everyone is familiar with from The Big Bang Theory. If I don't hear, I still have hope of representation. It's the old saying: "maybe" is half as good as "yes" and twice as good as "no". But at some point I need to know.

Meanwhile, the editing of Familiar Stranger has turned into some rewriting. I don't think its a permanent condition, the book has actually gotten longer, but there are bits in there now that I'm replacing. I'm shooting for 85,000 to 90,000 and I think it's currently hovering at about 96,000. We'll see.

Nothing new to report from my editor on Public and Private. Apparently the denouement needs work, but I'm still waiting for his notes. My goal is to get this book into the query carousel as soon as possible, though I know it'll take a few more months.

I really want to get back to writing something new. While I enjoy editing and rewriting because it makes something better, I can get tired of seeing the same people in the same situation, sort of like endless reruns of the same show. I'm ready to move on to something new.

Published a review for Boyhood (2014) on Trophy Unlocked and wrote a future review of about 2,000 words for Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Because of Leonard Nimoy's death, decided to do a month long salute to movies about Space starting in March: Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979); Queen of Outer Space (1958); This Island Earth (1955) and Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996).

Next week's goal is to send out some new queries and to keep the rewrite going.

No comments:

Post a Comment