Sunday, April 2, 2023

A Week in Writing #450 - Skylar Taking Shape

Hope everyone is staying well, and, of course, writing.

I don't usually lead with my work on my novel Skylar so I'm going to change that now. No, I'm not done, nor am I close, but I did have a good week with the book, getting in close to 3000 new words in, maybe more, including over 1400 today, as a matter of fact. Some of it comes down to timing, either having it or choosing to write when the opportunity comes up.

Anyway, I've gotten through a couple of points in the story that have been rattling around in my head for awhile and I've set up what could be a nice bit at the end. See, I'm not calling it a twist but I think it will make a nice payoff when the time comes.

It's hard to write too much about something without actually talking too much about the story itself and I'd like to keep as much under wraps as I can.

On the opposite side of the scale, I spent a good part of the week working on the new issue of The Hound Dogs' Howl, our monthly newsletter. A lot of it is part of a form I've established but there is some writing involved, including an introduction, a story about twins in the news, Joyce and Raissa De Haas of Double Dutch Drinks; a Heard Around Campus segment (since this supposed to be about a college) and some miscellaneous bits here and there. Paul and Trevor add a recommendation, this month The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Oh, I could send you a link but I'd rather have you sign up for it, you know, take it out for a spin.

We're sort of in a slow patch for the book, as our colorist turned artist, Julia Canon, is finishing up her coloring work before she starts on being the artist full-time. I'm hoping that transition begins in April.

Well, I did it. I proposed my panel to San Diego Comic-Con. I'm not even sure if the window is officially open, I was just told April, so I sent in my one paragraph version. I'm not sure what else I'll have to provide. There are supposedly forms but I don't know if there is pre-judgement on the idea first or they send the paperwork and make their judgement then. The important thing is that it's in, so we'll see how it goes. There's nothing wrong with trying, only inaction.

On the business side, I had a bit of a scare with the website. While I was updating various groups about our recent peek-of-the-week, I found that there was a problem with our website. Apparently, something had gone wrong with the certification and Google was labelling it a dangerous website. Well, it took some waiting, but Go Daddy did fix it and told me how to in the future. But there's nothing worse than sending out links that scare people away.

No new reviews from me this week again. Rather than watch something new, we decided to watch Safety Last, the Harold Lloyd classic that was celebrating it's 100th anniversary on April 1. And yes, we did review it about 10 years ago. This week's Saturday Morning Review on Trophy Unlocked was Trevor's review of Shrek Forever After.

One new query, again, only for Broken People. I did work on my paragraph long synopsis for Past Present, but I have yet to test the waters, though I did do some work on putting together a list of agents to query. Basically, the same form letter will be sent with the book bits changing. I'll keep you posted.

Well, that about does it for me. Keep writing, and I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment