Sunday, March 1, 2020

A Week in Writing #288 - Pitch Decks and Criticism


Some weeks seem to have themes, even if you don't start out thinking about it. This week, it seems like criticism is what we dealt with most this week.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that Paul and I are involved almost weekly with critiquing the work of our artist, colorist and letterer, as it relates to Powers Squared. This week, we had a bit of a change as we received some criticism for one of our own projects. I believe I've mentioned here before that we would like to pitch Powers Squared as an animated TV Series.

To that end, we prepared our version of a Pitch Deck and showed it to someone who has experience in TV animation. To say the least, the critique was super good while not being overly positive. And, it was exactly what we needed. We did the best we could but it obviously wasn't good enough and we only want to make it better. Really appreciated the constructive criticism we received.

We made criticism the centerpiece of our Friday night podcast, On the Air With Powers Squared, which you can listen to here or here. We also did a Twitch Stream but we didn't have the right settings so it's gone. It was still fun, though, and I think we'll do better next week with the settings and save it. If you want you can follow us at https://www.twitch.tv/powerssquared, so when we do the next one, you'll be notified.

On the subject of pitching, Paul and I attended the first of two sessions at UCLA on Pitching for Feature Films and Television Series. I think we both learned a lot and got some really good ideas about what we need to do both in the pitch and in the pitch deck. There is still more to learn and I'm looking forward to the next session, next Saturday's session, though I've got homework. I haven't had homework in years and while it's not hard, I'm not looking forward to having to do it. But even then I'm pretty sure it will be helpful in the long run.

The week wasn't all about Powers Squared. I did make some progress on The Runaway, though never as much as I want. There were a couple of nights where I wrote 3 and 4 pages a night but there were just as many where I didn't get much done. I still like what I've outlined for the rest of the story but I want to get through it. I know there are rewrites in my future and that's okay. As I believe I've mentioned before, that's my favorite part of the process.

Again, this week, no new reviews from me. However, Trophy Unlocked continues on without my contributions. This Saturday Morning's Review was Trevor's review of Recess: School's Out. We had watched the movie a week or so ago when one of the voice actors, Jason Davis, died.

Next week promises to be tight. In addition to the homework I have, we're going to Disneyland on Tuesday. My wife has been wanting to go for about a decade now and there was a pretty sweet L.A. resident deal so we have to go three times before the middle of May. So next week, I'm at least losing one whole day. It's for a good cause and all but I still hate losing the writing time, if that makes sense. And then there's going back to work the next day. But that's next week.

Speaking of which, I'll be back next Sunday to report on what I did do. So until then, keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment