Sunday, December 8, 2019

A Week in Writing #276 - Reflections on the Kickstarter and Other Writing


Okay, the big news this week is that the Powers Squared Mathemagical Kickstarter funded. Not sure if anyone reading this actually contributed but thank you if you did. We're very pleased to have been able to fund but while there is no shame in not funding, I, personally, didn't want to go through that. It's better to say we funded than we didn't.

Even though we funded, I have to say I am disappointed in some people. I don't know if you've been in a similar situation but when people say they will do something and then they don't, sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think the fact that we funded mitigates it either. A promise, especially about supporting something near and dear to you, isn't something that should be made in jest and more importantly shouldn't be welched on. I've had more than one person say they were going to back the Kickstarter after they got paid on a Friday and then have not come through. Frankly, I'm not sure what a paycheck has to do with something that has to be charged but there have been four Fridays come and go and most of these people have not backed us. I'm sorry, but I guess I'm petty. Those things will alter our relationship going forward.

Worse is the lack of support from my own family. It's not that I don't have some well-to-do, if not rich siblings and I received a combined $60 from them. Maybe there are some bridges to rebuild but in keeping with the road analogy, it is a two-way street. Maybe they're not into comic books but that's not an excuse. They should be wanting to support me and my sons and they did not really come through. (I'm pretty sure they don't read this blog either, so I'm not too worried they'll ever really know how hurtful it is.)

I unceremoniously dropped a friend since high school since he didn't support this and I'm planning on dropping a few people from Facebook and other social media when the dust settles on this. And I didn't just mention this once in 30 days but several times over the course of the Kickstarter. You had to make an effort to ignore it. So going forward, I may decide to ignore you.

I know it sounds petty but it is something like this when you learn who your friends are and who you can rely on it a pinch.

The week wasn't all about Powers Squared. I did do some other writing, including more work on The Runaway. I had a thought about editing a passage in the book and re-introduce a character from a different story. I thought it might go down better coming from that character and I could use him better than I was using the character I was using. I'm not sure if I'm putting this in a way that makes sense but it does to me. Hopefully, it will make sense when the rewrite is done.

I also managed to do a new review for Trophy Unlocked. With Christmas coming, we usually do Christmas movies during December and this year is no exception. My review of The Man Who Invented Christmas was the Saturday Morning Review. The one I finished, Holiday Affair, may or may not see the light of day this year or not. I'm planning on writing one this week for Little Women (1933).

Well, that about wraps up this week. Keep writing and I'll be back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment