Sunday, June 23, 2019

A Week in Writing #252


Unlike last week, I feel that this week was pretty successful from a writing perspective. Not that I did everything I wanted to do, but I did get some good work done.

To begin with, from Monday through Thursday, I worked on The Runaway. Being a pantser, as they call it, I write until I run out of ideas. In the case of The Runaway, I had sort of written to a point that I needed to regroup from. For me, the best way to get back into the swing was to start from the beginning and do rewrites. I've been able to go through a chapter a day so I'm feeling better about it. Hopefully, the work will continue next week as well.

I'm afraid nothing to report on queries, none sent again this week or Familiar Stranger. I haven't yet gathered the courage to call him at where I think he works, but that appears to be my only option if I ever want to hear what happened to his edits.

On Monday, I did finish two reviews for Trophy Unlocked, the long-gestating Sabrina (1954) and Their Own Desires. On Saturday, after seeing parts of Sabrina again on Friday, I decided to make some updates to that review, but those are hopefully done. This week's Saturday Morning Review was Paul's review of Toy Story 4, which we saw on Friday afternoon. I think that might be more of the norm this summer, as there are a lot of films that we will be seeing and publishing them on Saturday will be more timely.

For Powers Squared, this was a very productive week, as we received pencils from Rachel for the last four pages of Issue #11 and the cover. Really cool stuff. And, if that wasn't enough, we received the first four pages of the same issued colored by Nina. Again, really good. Those pages have been sent on to Trevor for lettering.

Paul and I continue our weekly video on our YouTube channel, Powers Squared Comic. If you're new to the blog, we had to change the name a few months back when we realized we had the same name as a quasi-religious channel. Would really appreciate it if you would subscribe to the channel and ring the bell to get notifications of new videos. This week we use new lights for the first time while we discuss A Week in Powers Squared.

I know sometimes this blog becomes promotional in nature, but that's sort of related to writing. You do the work hoping someone will read it. So, there will be times when you're suggested to watch, read or buy something. I try to keep it to a minimum, but I can't help it.

We're still working on ideas for our Kickstarter and would appreciate any recommendations you might have. We reached out last week in our newsletter (you can sign up here) and asked if anyone had any ideas on what they'd like to see as a tier reward. So far, stickers were the only thing mentioned. Can you think of something that would be a good reward for backers?

And while we're on the subject of backers, we're looking for a name to call our fans. I came up with The Twins, as in "Join us and be one of the Twins." Paul came up with Hound Dogs, which is a reference to the school's newspaper, which is itself an Elvis Presley reference.

Well, that appears to do it for this week. Keep writing and see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment